What did you learn about cooking today?

Hmmm... I did find this which it may have come from:

Irish Oatmeal Leek Soup
I'll bet if you asked a French cook, they'd say, "The Irish got it from us." :laugh:

I know KQED blocks a lot of their stuff, but here's the whole episode, in case you can see it. The soup is the first recipe he makes, and then he sits down at the table at the end to show off the whole meal.

View: https://youtu.be/k4gbPeoZ-V8

This show is from the early 90's, I think, and I've watched several episodes, and it's funny to hear him talk about the health aspects of all the dishes he makes on the series, always talking about how to cut the calories and fat - shows what was popular at the time.

I'll bet if you asked a French cook, they'd say, "The Irish got it from us." :laugh:

Further to the above - I disappeared down a rabbit hole searching in French on French websites for leek and oat soup/porridge. Interestingly there are a lot of recipes for it - I searched "soupe d’avoine aux poireaux". Most of the recipes say it is of Irish origin and quite a few also mention the Irish original name 'brotchen foltchep' or 'brotchen roy'. Its curious - as far as I know there is no particular tradition of cooking Irish recipes in France.

How to make flapjacks, and how long to cook them without slightly burning them (hence, 5 mins less than I did cook them). They're still quite good though. Never made them before, so rookie error.

Though Nigel Slater claims in his book Toast, that slightly burned flapjacks are the best. Toast might be my favorite cooking story ever.

Not to let me son in law use my cast iron skillet. Don’t know what he cooked in it. Got home it was laying in the sink, half full of water. Some brown gunk in the sides and a metal spatula covered in said brown gunk. He used the metal spatula to scrap it off the pan. My seasoning is gone. The bottom of the pan is rust. We were gone for three days so I can only guess this was from his first day staying there while we were gone.

Not to let me son in law use my cast iron skillet. Don’t know what he cooked in it. Got home it was laying in the sink, half full of water. Some brown gunk in the sides and a metal spatula covered in said brown gunk. He used the metal spatula to scrap it off the pan. My seasoning is gone. The bottom of the pan is rust. We were gone for three days so I can only guess this was from his first day staying there while we were gone.

I empathise. That is bad...

I'd find a nice YT video on how to strip and reseason a cast iron pan, and send your SIL that link and the pan, and a note to have in back in no more than 10 days' time (must allow for the holidays!). :wink:

He is learning to cook, the same way I did. :okay:

Given the same interest in cooking as so many other members on CookingBites, I decided to start this thread to allow members to present and discuss what they have learned (that is new to them) about cooking.
Does anyone else talk to their holiday meal while cooking ? It turns out amazing when I talk to my main course ! It just needs confidence ... And told how beautiful and delicious it is !

Does anyone else talk to their holiday meal while cooking ? It turns out amazing when I talk to my main course ! It just needs confidence ... And told how beautiful and delicious it is !

I only talk to my cooking when I screw something up. You can possibly imagine what I say.

It's funny you ask that, as when I was younger, I never talked to myself, and frankly, didn't hold the people who did in very high regard..."soft in the head, must be..."

Now that I'm older, I've noticed the last few months, that when I'm cooking...I'm talking to myself, and the food! 🤦‍♂️

It's more along the lines of, "Ok, need some brown sugar, you're in...here, and that's two tablespoons of your sweet, sweet butt, into the bowl, and not too clumpy now, brownie <eats third tablespoon since it's out and available and immediately does a Jagger-esque strut around the kitchen>..."🎵 Brown sugar, how come you taste so gooood?! 🎵"

Yeah, um, other than that, no, not at all... :whistling:

I leaned that a sweet custard dessert ( zabaione / zabaglion / sabayon ) can be used to make savory sauces..

Back
Top Bottom