What do you miss about the UK?

I was going to save this picture for "what's this?" but it'll be too easy now.

single.jpg

The brexit referendum was the final nail in the coffin for us so we left. Apart from being able to help and protect my relatives and friends I don't miss anything meaningful.

I miss a proper fish and chips that doesn't cost the earth. The most authentic chippy here in Singapore costs the equivalent of GBP £16 for cod and chips if you can Adam and Eve it.

Aside from that, hanging out with mates in a proper pub. There isn't really a pub culture here to speak of.

I miss a proper fish and chips that doesn't cost the earth. The most authentic chippy here in Singapore costs the equivalent of GBP £16 for cod and chips if you can Adam and Eve it.

Aside from that, hanging out with mates in a proper pub. There isn't really a pub culture here to speak of.

There used to be a Harry Ramsden's franchise on the way to Changi. We visited a few times in the late 90s. I can't remember the prices now but the quality was reasonable (except I had to explain to the manageress how to cook mushie peas). It was not there when I was in Singapore in 2001 - either closed or moved, I don't know which.

Since I live in the UK (at least for now), I'm not in a position to miss anything. The longest time I have spent outside of the country was when I lived and worked in Eritrea for two years. I missed cask beer - just about the first thing I did on coming back was go for a pint (okay, several pints). I also missed decent cheese. It was almost impossible to get any in Eritrea. On the one occasion that a local grocery shop had some quite nice and tangy cheese, I went back there only for the owner to explain to me that he had thrown it away because nobody liked it. I tried hard not to sob.

Since I live in the UK (at least for now), I'm not in a position to miss anything. The longest time I have spent outside of the country was when I lived and worked in Eritrea for two years. I missed cask beer - just about the first thing I did on coming back was go for a pint (okay, several pints). I also missed decent cheese. It was almost impossible to get any in Eritrea. On the one occasion that a local grocery shop had some quite nice and tangy cheese, I went back there only for the owner to explain to me that he had thrown it away because nobody liked it. I tried hard not to sob.

No chances to find some Italian cheese?

No chances to find some Italian cheese?
I believe there were occasional sightings of such in Asmara. I was based in Assab, on the Red Sea coast in the south-east corner of the country, so my visits to the capital were limited - it was necessary to fly, unless you fancied a rickety bus across the Danokil Desert for three or four days. It's true, though, that Asmara is very Italianate. Some of the older people spoke Italian and there were pizza restaurants, not to mention a lot of shoe shops. Indeed, I bought some very nice Italian-made shoes for ridiculously small sums.

Strangely, much of the limited Italian I know comes from my time in Eritrea. Many of the names of fruit and vegetables are Italian, so I'm quite good in grocery shops and restaurants, but pretty hopeless elsewhere.

To love London. Every few feet you walk their is something interesting.
Joolz can be hard to understand at times (use the Close Caption it translates British to English) and the music can strain your interest (at least he now has much less of it in his videos), but he makes London so interesting. Notice the Dusty Knuckles bakery Truck at 3:57. I'm a sucker for this kind'a street fare*.

*Fare. A range of food of a particular type.
"Delicious Provençal fare."

Last edited:
I believe there were occasional sightings of such in Asmara. I was based in Assab, on the Red Sea coast in the south-east corner of the country, so my visits to the capital were limited - it was necessary to fly, unless you fancied a rickety bus across the Danokil Desert for three or four days. It's true, though, that Asmara is very Italianate. Some of the older people spoke Italian and there were pizza restaurants, not to mention a lot of shoe shops. Indeed, I bought some very nice Italian-made shoes for ridiculously small sums.

Strangely, much of the limited Italian I know comes from my time in Eritrea. Many of the names of fruit and vegetables are Italian, so I'm quite good in grocery shops and restaurants, but pretty hopeless elsewhere.

Ah ok, I see.
Not so strange, since Asmara is predominantly Italian because of the colonies (but you know that), which is why I asked you about Italian cheese.
So can you say lamponi or ravanello? Many Italians don't :laugh:

Ah ok, I see.
Not so strange, since Asmara is predominantly Italian because of the colonies (but you know that), which is why I asked you about Italian cheese.
So can you say lamponi or ravanello? Many Italians don't :laugh:
This building in Asmara was a Shell petrol station when I was in that country. The building, designed by Giuseppe Petazzi, was built in 1938. There are a few Art Deco buildings in Asmara.

I miss visiting London so much. I can't explain how it feels to walk London streets. The Strand is my favorite and I have walked it countless times. The British Museum is one of my favorite places on earth and I go there every time I am in London. I miss Hotel Chocolat and Forbidden Planet and going to the theater. Hopefully next year I will return.

This building in Asmara was a Shell petrol station when I was in that country. The building, designed by Giuseppe Petazzi, was built in 1938. There are a few Art Deco buildings in Asmara.

View attachment 54419

Surprising. A visual oxymoron (I've just invented this combo term) that is not at all unpleasant, far from it.
Thank you, a nice image

Back
Top Bottom