What do you usually grown in your garden?

Our garden is a mix of fruits, vegetables and herbs. It depends on the whim of my husband, he would plant pepper or tomato or sometimes onions. We usually have ginger and lemon grass as flavoring ingredient for dishes we cook. There are also some trees like the big mango tree and the small camias tree the bears sour fruits we use for cooking fish. The banana plant has given us one fruiting already and so with the dragon fruit. Oh, too many to mention.

Right now all I have are cherry tomatoes, peppers and some herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary and sage).

A big part of my yard is shaded by a big tree, so it's not really ideal planting in that section because it just doesn't get enough sunlight during the day.

If I had the space and viability I would love to just grow all my fruits and vegetables and herbs. It's cost saving as well as just making me feel productive when we grow things - which has to be seen as a positive!

I have a huge cherry tree. I didn't plant it, so I can't claim to have grown it. Cherries are very much Kentish produce. We picked a load of them yesterday and my daughter made a cherry cake. Then, I made a cherry crumble. Sometimes I make pickle with them too. Other than the cherry tree, I just grow a few hardy herbs - rosemary, thyme, bay.

I have a huge cherry tree. I didn't plant it, so I can't claim to have grown it. Cherries are very much Kentish produce. We picked a load of them yesterday and my daughter made a cherry cake. Then, I made a cherry crumble. Sometimes I make pickle with them too. Other than the cherry tree, I just grow a few hardy herbs - rosemary, thyme, bay.

Oh, I love cherries - to have a tree would be wonderful but I don't have the right sort of conditions to plant one I don't think.

All the yummy things I could bake with a cherry tree in the yard would be incredible.

I am surprised to read that you make pickled cherries. And how does it taste? With cherry cake, I guess it I would relish it because I love cherries and I buy sometimes even if it is very expensive, in fact, the most expensive fruit here (because it is imported). My husband said that cherries have a season and it only bears fruit once a year and also for a short time so in a month's time, all the cherries in the tree are already harvested. Is my husband correct in what he said to me?

Last edited:
I am surprised to read that you make pickled cherries. And how does it taste? With cherry cake, I guess it I would relish it because I love cherries and I buy sometimes even if it is very expensive, in fact, the most expensive fruit here (because it is imported). My husband said that cherries have a season and it only bears fruit once a year and also for a short time so in a month's time, all the cherries in the tree are already harvested. Is my husband correct in what he said to me?
Yes, that's right - for a short time and only once a year. Its a race to harvest them before the birds eat them. The pickled cherries I'm referring to are not like pickled cucumber but an Anglo/Indian version of pickle, which is thick, sweet, sour and spicy hot. But you can make delightful pickled cherries which are sometimes found in Spanish Tapas. Or they are lovely with pork or ham. Recipe here: http://larderlove.com/pickled-cherries/

@morning glory what we have here is the red cherries in bottles called maraschino. We include that in fruit salads and that's always the star of the show particularly with the adults. But it is quite expensive so we cannot mix in so much in fruit salad.

@morning glory what we have here is the red cherries in bottles called maraschino. We include that in fruit salads and that's always the star of the show particularly with the adults. But it is quite expensive so we cannot mix in so much in fruit salad.
We have those too. They are artificially coloured a bright red:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamise...ng-way-maraschino-cherries-are-made#.nkBp6j7E

These faux red jewels are coloured with:
"Red #4—a food dye which was banned in the 1970s due to its linkage to adrenal and urinary bladder damage. Companies then switched to #3, which was eventually linked to thyroid tumors, and was also banned by the FDA. Today, Red #40 is widely used in within the industry though it has been known to cause allergic reactions in food sensitive individuals or aggravate symptoms in those who suffer from ADHD and hyperactivity."

According to Wiki:
"The name maraschino originates from the marasca cherry of Croatian origin and the maraschino liqueur made from it, in which marasca cherries were crushed and preserved after being pickled. Whole cherries preserved in this liqueur were known as "maraschino cherries".[3] These had been a local means of preserving the fruit in Dalmatia."

Well I certainly learned something today!

Thus far, the only things I've had luck with are the things that were growing when I got here; I.E, dandelions, small trees, and grass. On the up and up though, I might try to do potatoes. Since the dandelions grew really well (and made a great detoxifying tea) then it's worth a shot since in my experience potatoes also don't need a whole lot to grow.

I do grow tomatoes and onions, I like them when they are fresh. I water them them daily since we are experiencing a dry season. I also do grow some herbs. Fresh foods are recommended for a healthy living.

I do tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, radishes, potatoes, green and yellow beans and peas. Sometimes I add different thins but all always have those things. It is great to have fresh veggies to eat. They taste so much better when you grown them yourself and they are freshly picked. I always enjoy a feed of new baby potatoes and green and yellow beans. It is so good!!

We are picking small carrots ,peas ,broad beans,dwarf and runner beans ,beetroot ,spinach,mixed leaves,courgettes ,radish,loads of soft fruits ,gooseberries,loads of herbs and edible flowers ,ever lasting onions,potatoes,rhubarb is coming to a end,and my Christmas trees are doing well!

We are picking small carrots ,peas ,broad beans,dwarf and runner beans ,beetroot ,spinach,mixed leaves,courgettes ,radish,loads of soft fruits ,gooseberries,loads of herbs and edible flowers ,ever lasting onions,potatoes,rhubarb is coming to a end,and my Christmas trees are doing well!
I'm impressed! And Christmas trees? How many Christmas trees do you need?
I just have one nicely behaved artificial one which lives quietly in the spare room until required.:D

In the garden I have just herbs growing; oregano, Rosemary, fennel, and thyme. I also have an allotment where we grow potatoes, squash, beetroot, spinach, courgettes, New Zealand yams, rhubarb, redcurrants, black currents, gooseberries, sweet corn, beans, and something new that I can't remember it's name but it looks a bit weed like.

I'm impressed! And Christmas trees? How many Christmas trees do you need?
I just have one nicely behaved artificial one which lives quietly in the spare room until required.:D
I put in 4 three years ago and they will be ready next year at the earliest so will,keep me in trees for the next few years,I will then put in more this year ,the roots are about £2 each delivere and a tree costs £20 ,I used to do the same on a piece of land we had but every one else took a fancy to them and then they got to big but made a great privacy screen,we always have a fresh tree,to hell with the needles

Back
Top Bottom