What foods have gone out of fashion?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:37 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was wondering, as the result of another thread, what non-baked (so not cakes) Ford's have gone out of fashion?

I actually can't think of that many that are not cakes.
I suspect rice salad is one of them, but I still eat it regularly during the summer months. The ubiquitous vegetable lasagna could be next on the list perhaps? And I guess with it cannelloni?

What else can you think of? Is it country dependent? If so, can you name the country if it's not obvious...

TBH most of the old meats have been sidelined - mutton, most of the less 'nice' seeming parts [eg, lungs heart etc] or tongue. I suspect this is a western thing where anything 'not nice' can be wasted but I may be wrong. I find many of the old breads [which appeared to fade away in the sixties/seventies] seem to be coming back in 'trendy' whole food shops [although anybody making bread from barley should be soundly thrashed - barley is for BEER]

The wheel is round what goes out comes back , cooking always returns to basics, we don't invent ingredients so much as remember them again

It always makes me think of 1970's cookbooks that I've seen which have recipes for stuff like savory jello dishes...ewww. So I guess maybe terrines and things like that? I've never made one and never had any inkling to do so!

Offal doesn't seem to be overly popular anymore.

Offal doesn't seem to be overly popular anymore.
Change in regulations following the Mad Cow outbreak, and in the UK at least, reinforced by the 2001 Foot and Mouth nationwide outbreak and subsequent 17 smaller locallised ones.

Also made people choosy over their choice of meat.

It's sad that the native foods of our country is going obsolete. When I was a young girl, the usual snacks are rice cake and other glutinous rice snacks plus local cakes like cassava cake. The porridge is the public's snack together with fried tofu. A variety of noodles are offered by cheap eateries. But now, even the ambulant food vendor is selling siomai (a Chinese snack), hamburgers of all kinds, desserts like mousse. It's really globalization at its best. It's a good thing to know that one Supermarket chain (SM mall) is promoting native snack foods which are always available in their snack bars.

Jello and gelatin-based foods have become terribly unpopular now, in a good way. My grandmother used to make meat gelatin pies which tasted great but the consistency made you question yourself. I think since the advent of Italian gelato and "healthy" yogurts as desserts it has reduced the sales of ice cream products. Once upon a time ice pops were also very popular but I rarely see anyone eat twin popsies anymore.

Just thinking about this again it seems to be that dishes that were designed to give lots of calories for minimal cost to feed people who did heavy manual jobs are very much on the way out - most people just don't do that kind of work anymore.

Back
Top Bottom