What has happen to the British Fairy Cake?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was wondering what has happened to the British Fairy Cake? We used to have then years and years ago, just a nice simple Victoria spine cake recipe in a paper wrapper with the centre cut out and then in half as a lid and a filling of your choice. The lid would then be put back on in the style of wings... We used to have then at kids parties and the likes and they were just the right size...

I made them up until a couple of years ago. However Mr WF said they were too sweet, so I stoped making them. I do still make cup cakes using mixed dried fruit instead of icing, and chocolate cup cakes as well, but I agree, you very rarely see them in shops these days. Fashion I suppose. Or people think they are old fashoned.

I was wondering what has happened to the British Fairy Cake? We used to have then years and years ago, just a nice simple Victoria spine cake recipe in a paper wrapper with the centre cut out and then in half as a lid and a filling of your choice. The lid would then be put back on in the style of wings... We used to have then at kids parties and the likes and they were just the right size...
I think the answer is simple. Something called cupcakes (originally an American term, I think) became a world wide obsession seemingly replacing all other small cakes! Personally I loathe cupcakes. A fairy cake is much more elegant.

I think the answer is simple. Something called cupcakes (originally an American term, I think) became a world wide obsession seemingly replacing all other small cakes! Personally I loathe cupcakes. A fairy cake is much more elegant.

I was just going to reply, cupcakes happened, when I saw you beat me to it. My mum taught me to make fairy cakes over 50 years ago. We used a Genoise sponge recipe, cut off the tops and filled with whipped cream.

Your right. Cup cakes have over taken fairy cakes. Lots and lots of icing in top. There are have been a lot of commercials on TV over the last years or so all extolling the greatness of cup cakes.

Your right. Cup cakes have over taken fairy cakes. Lots and lots of icing in top. There are have been a lot of commercials on TV over the last years or so all extolling the greatness of cup cakes.
I'm so sick of hearing about them and seeing them (apologies to @cupcakechef!). I think perhaps they are popular because people can pretend they're baking when in fact what they are really doing is making increasingly ridiculous decorative toppings.

I'm so sick of hearing about them and seeing them (apologies to @cupcakechef!). I think perhaps they are popular because people can pretend they're baking when in fact what they are really doing is making increasingly ridiculous decorative toppings.

:roflmao::roflmao: i honestly dont know how they manage to shove themin their mouths. They are so sickening id be gagging tryjng to eat them. DT oektor or whatever its called icing on them. Bleh

Sadly as it seems with many things that are British we are constantly bombarded with adverts for 'foreign' delicacies [and they all have their place] but home grown things are increasingly seen as 'un-cool' by children [ie the next generation of consumers] so pride in, and enjoyment of, the old British sweets is lost.

Back
Top Bottom