What herbs, spices, seasonings etc. work together?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:11 AM
I looked for a thread addressing herb and seasoning combinations and only found an old thread from 2017 about flavor combinations (ie: mint and lamb, etc). I am really interested in knowing what herbs and seasonings go well together. Of course I already know some basics such as pasta sauce with oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic. I am particularly interested in what works well with tarragon. I know it goes well with lemon and garlic in a creamy sauce I have made before (and of course classic Bearnaise sauce). Can tarragon be paired with sage or are the two flavors so strong as to compete with each other in an unpleasant way?

What are your favorite herb and seasoning combinations and why? What types of dishes do you use them in?

I use rosemary and thyme together a lot. I wrap whole sprigs together with butcher's twine when I braise meats.

CD

How are you defining seasonings?
Well it's a pretty broad term in this case, so I suppose spices, herbs, and anything that imparts flavor (other than basic salt and pepper). So citrus, garlic, turmeric, etc. would also qualify.

I think that it's just about whatever you can come up with, whatever might work best for you. There are tons of herbs & spices out there for you to use your imagination with. Whatever suits your fancy. You're the master in your kitchen. The world is at your feet, the ball is in your court.

Make the best of it, sit & watch the raves & compliments come in!! :whistling:

Favorite? I don't really have a favorite until I know what I'm cooking, then some favorites will come to mind. I like most herbs and spices fairly equally, if that makes any sense. I'm sure if I think about it more I may come up with the odd one that I dislike maybe.

Favorite? I don't really have a favorite until I know what I'm cooking, then some favorites will come to mind. I like most herbs and spices fairly equally, if that makes any sense. I'm sure if I think about it more I may come up with the odd one that I dislike maybe.
I am really asking about flavor combinations, which herbs or seasonings work well or don't go together, that kind of thing.

Well it's a pretty broad term in this case, so I suppose spices, herbs, and anything that imparts flavor (other than basic salt and pepper). So citrus, garlic, turmeric, etc. would also qualify.

Maybe the thread needs a clearer title? Such as 'which herbs and spices work together?'. If you define seasonings as including herbs then the the title doesn't make sense.

Maybe the thread needs a clearer title? Such as 'which herbs and spices work together?'. If you define seasonings as including herbs then the the title doesn't make sense.

Perhaps you are over-thinking this. It made sense to me. I already posted an herb combination I like. But a seasoning blend I use a lot, especially on steaks and burgers, is salt, pepper and granulated garlic. That is a popular combination in the US.

CD

Perhaps you are over-thinking this. It made sense to me. I already posted an herb combination I like. But a seasoning blend I use a lot, especially on steaks and burgers, is salt, pepper and granulated garlic. That is a popular combination in the US.

CD

Its a bit of a US/UK thing again, I think. To us a herb is a herb and a spice is a spice and seasoning either means salt and pepper or possibly means some sort of pre-made mix. JAS_OH1 has amended the title. Its fine now.

This thread makes me think of a question: Are there any two spices/herbs/seasoning that individually would taste good with chicken, but together wouldn't? I can't think of a single example.

Its a bit of a US/UK thing again, I think. To us a herb is a herb and a spice is a spice and seasoning either means salt and pepper or possibly means some sort of pre-made mix. JAS_OH1 has amended the title. Its fine now.

Yes, you even pronounce the word herb differently. In the US, the "H" is silent -- erb. Did you notice that I used "an" herb instead of "a" herb, as you did?

CD

This thread makes me think of a question: Are there any two spices/herbs/seasoning that individually would taste good with chicken, but together wouldn't? I can't think of a single example.
I'm wondering if sage and tarragon would be opposing with chicken. I've never used both together. Has anyone tried it?

Back
Top Bottom