What is the most unusual meal you've ever eaten?

I can't remember much for now except for the delicacy in Alaminos, a coastal town in Pangasinan. It was a summer when we had a brief vacation there and some fishermen befriended us, they are relatives of our host. That was the first time I had seen a sea urchin, that shellfish with spines. The fisherman opened the sea urchin with a knife and extracted the flesh. He then offered it to us. So as not to offend, I took the flesh of the sea urchin and swallowed it. Yes, that raw shellfish was kind of revolting to my stomach. And when I was offered another one, no way, I firmly refused.
You did What? Swallowed the urchin raw, straight out of the sea? And lived to tell the story too. Now that's courageous. :yuck:

I've eaten frogs legs, chicken's feet and duck's feet. Growing up it seemed normal not weird to eat these foods but as I got older I realized that not everyone eats them and I learned the word delicacy.
I wonder what frog legs taste like, is there any flesh on them? How did you prepare them and is the rest of it eaten as well? Just curious. I might add I ate crocodile too. Tastes like fish. Zebra meat is all steak but has to cook for hours.

Frog legs taste a lot like chicken, and as you can image there isn't a lot of meat on the bones. I've had them fried in garlic butter, so they were crispy and quite flavourful. I've only had the legs, I think the rest is discarded but don't quote me on that.

You did What? Swallowed the urchin raw, straight out of the sea? And lived to tell the story too. Now that's courageous. :yuck:

Yes, I lived to tell the story, hahahaaa. But if you'd say I do it again? No way, Jose, no way. The taste was somewhat salty but really fishy. And if you have a weak stomach, you would probably throw up. The fisherman said that it is one good cure for goiter and for those with lack of iodine in their body. But then again, I would prefer to eat it grilled or maybe if there was a dip of vinegar with pepper and onions.

Shark fin soup. Yes, I know I shouldn't have eaten it due to ethical issues but I was at a friend's wedding whose family are from Hong Kong and it's meant to be a delicacy and I didn't want to offend anyone. Even though I'm a vegetarian hahaha.

Cow brain stew and tongue? That is soo gross. Did you enjoy eating that?
It has been a while since I have eaten that stuff. I liked it back then. Not sure if I would eat it today. I was brought up where you ate what was cooked you did without. My mom didn't cook a separate meal for everybody like so many parents so now a days.

Back
Top Bottom