What is your favorite one pot meal?

Pat

Veteran
Local time
8:50 AM
I really like one pot meals. My favorite is to take some chopped chicken or turkey add a can of cream of mushroom shorts and cooked noodles. This does require more than one pot but close.

My favourite one-pot meal is soup. I just enjoy cooking soup since I can add several different ingredients to make it tasty. I usually do pumpkin and eddo soup. To this I would add either split peas or lentils. Barley may also be added, but I have not used this in recent times. I also like to add in carrots, celery, onions and sweet pepper. Okras are sometimes added to enhance the thickness of the soup. I also use herbs like parsley, thyme and oregano, along with cayenne pepper and a bit of ginger. Of course I would not leave out the meat. My favourite meats to use in soup are chicken and lamb..

Having lived on the road for a year cooking out of only 1 pot, I have found that there are plenty of things you can do in one pot, including a homemade tomato sauce and pasta with dumplings or eggs for extra protein.

So chop an onion, a pepper or two, and fry them up with some herbs and or spices in a touch of oil. Now add the tin of tomatoes, use the tin to add another tin of water and some stock cube. Add some beans or lentils (tinned lentils will make life easier here if you are on the road, camping, doing a bbq or just cooking outside :whistling:). Add the pasta and simmer for around 5 minutes. Now add the eggs, just crack them into the pot, so if you are adding 4 eggs, divide into quadrants and crack one into each quadrant, now DO NOT STIR just simmer for around 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked. It helps if you have wholemeal pasta or some 20 minute pasta, but somehow the ordinary pasta does survive this. We often sliced up a vegan sausage or two and cooked them in the sauce as well... Dropping hallumi in adds a little something extra if you can have dairy... The eggs are basically being cooked Israeli style - I have an Israeli family member nowadays and it is something she introduced us to. Cooking them in a flavoured sauce changes the flavour of the egg really nicely.

Your flavour will depend on the herbs or spices used along with what veg you fried up in it. Add to this a variety in lentils or beans/pulses etc and you will have a different pot each and every time.

Pelau is my favourite even though I seldom cook it. I find whenever I cook it it's dryer than I care for it to be. It's rice cooked with meat/meats of your choice. For me it's one of those dishes with no limits.

Pelau is my favourite even though I seldom cook it. I find whenever I cook it it's dryer than I care for it to be. It's rice cooked with meat/meats of your choice. For me it's one of those dishes with no limits.
What do you put in your pilau,I know this dish is renamed and redone all over the world but some of the original recipes use local produce like rabbit and pigeon?

I make lots of one pot meals, because I have such a small kitchen, and prefer not to wash a bunch of different pots. I was watching a show yesterday, and they made something similar to a New England Clambake, but not seafood. It's called Milk Can Supper, and here's the recipe, in case anyone would like to try it. I like how they adapt recipes to modern times, and modern cookware on the show. I'll hopefully be making this recipe soon! https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7352-milk-can-supper

What do you put in your pilau,I know this dish is renamed and redone all over the world but some of the original recipes use local produce like rabbit and pigeon?

I have not made it often because I like 'wet' food and like I said the few times I have made mine it has been a little dry. I suspect it's because I don't use a lot of oil or any in one or two cases. Above all I like a dish that calls for some sauce or gravy and a good pelau should not require sauce in my opinion. Anyway, the few times I have made it, it was a chicken pelau: once I used lamb. I like to leave the bones in my meat and I use tumeric for a nice yellow rice.

I'll cook the chicken in water and lots of spices to add flavour to the chicken. Onions, white or black pepper, thyme,lawry's seasoned salt, ginger, and and any other dry seasoning I might have on hand are used in the dish. Once the meat has been cooked for the most part, I add the rice and allow to cook and simmer. I know I've done a good job when nothing sticks to bottom of the pan. I added bay leaf on one occasion and I want to try it with coconut milk at some point. In my country most of the pelau that is put out there is brown having added browning to the rice.

I have not made it often because I like 'wet' food and like I said the few times I have made mine it has been a little dry. I suspect it's because I don't use a lot of oil or any in one or two cases. Above all I like a dish that calls for some sauce or gravy and a good pelau should not require sauce in my opinion. Anyway, the few times I have made it, it was a chicken pelau: once I used lamb. I like to leave the bones in my meat and I use tumeric for a nice yellow rice.

I'll cook the chicken in water and lots of spices to add flavour to the chicken. Onions, white or black pepper, thyme,lawry's seasoned salt, ginger, and and any other dry seasoning I might have on hand are used in the dish. Once the meat has been cooked for the most part, I add the rice and allow to cook and simmer. I know I've done a good job when nothing sticks to bottom of the pan. I added bay leaf on one occasion and I want to try it with coconut milk at some point. In my country most of the pelau that is put out there is brown having added browning to the rice.
I had a Pelau cooked for me by a colleague called trini Pelau
It had the coconut milk peas and pigeon,it was nice, he was from Trinidad

I had a Pelau cooked for me by a colleague called trini Pelau
It had the coconut milk peas and pigeon,it was nice, he was from Trinidad

Correct, the Trinis are the ones who like to use the coconut milk. The Grenadians like a dish called oil down that I had when I was a kid that calls for coconut milk as well. I was a child and I can still remember it being outstanding.

Correct, the Trinis are the ones who like to use the coconut milk. The Grenadians like a dish called oil down that I had when I was a kid that calls for coconut milk as well. I was a child and I can still remember it being outstanding.
Another favorite of mine is a Spanish dish very similar in name and content , Spanish paella we go to Valencia and it's done with rabbit, similar to the link below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/valencian_paella_31374

Another favorite of mine is a Spanish dish very similar in name and content , Spanish paella we go to Valencia and it's done with rabbit, similar to the link below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/valencian_paella_31374

I don't know if I mentioned it here before but I can't do rabbit. When I went to my mom's house recently we were thinking of what she might cook for me and she offered me some rabbit. I had to remind her that I can't eat rabbit. My brother kept rabbits as pets when we were growing up. To this day I can't eat it. I still see them as these little pets. Once many years ago I got some from a friend and it took me weeks before I could prepare it and even after preparing it I could not partake. At home it's quite expensive to buy and comes with a hefty price tag when out dinning. It's mostly found at high end restaurants.

I don't know if I mentioned it here before but I can't do rabbit. When I went to my mom's house recently we were thinking of what she might cook for me and she offered me some rabbit. I had to remind her that I can't eat rabbit. My brother kept rabbits as pets when we were growing up. To this day I can't eat it. I still see them as these little pets. Once many years ago I got some from a friend and it took me weeks before I could prepare it and even after preparing it I could not partake. At home it's quite expensive to buy and comes with a hefty price tag when out dinning. It's mostly found at high end restaurants.
Rabbit is its origin but it's done mainly with chicken seafood and chorizo now
The fact you don't like rabbit is social conditioning , if you were bought up to eat it , it would be normal and that's what makes this culinary world great , all our tastes and experiences are different

Pork chop casserole in the slow cooker. You throw your pork chops, can of cream of mushroom soup, water, carrot slices, potatoes, and sliced onions. Cook it on high all day long until the pork chops are cooked through. It's wonderful! As a matter of fact, its the only time I'll use cream of mushroom for anything!

Back
Top Bottom