What is your oldest kitchen gadget, appliance or other kitchen item?

Like I wrote, not many to be found back then, a special item, product of France, it's full size and body made of stainless steel. Today, I'd laugh, say yeah right and go elsewhere or hit the internet. Didn't have those options 25 years ago. You forget how much has changed since then. Most people didn't have cell phones and if they did, they were either part of a car or big as a shoebox and as expensive to use comparatively as the mandolin. I know, my boss had one.

I don't remember. I'm sure the name is on the boxes of special blades but I don't think it's on the mandolin itself. The blades are buried somewhere because we lost the handguard years ago and I won't use it with those blades without finger protection. Those blades are razor sharp. I just use it as a slicer. I just remember it was French, stainless, and I suspect made for a working kitchen because it's heavy duty and in pretty much same shape as when we bought it.

Craig isn't allowed to use it anymore because he has cut himself pretty badly due to not paying attention. I've cut myself a couple of times but never too bad.

I know I am not a master chef and use my mandolin very carefully - slowly. I have no one to impress. It is a great tool for perfect slicing - I like that. Also dangerous. Once was enough to teach me to pay very close attention and work slowly.

I know I am not a master chef and use my mandolin very carefully - slowly. I have no one to impress. It is a great tool for perfect slicing - I like that. Also dangerous. Once was enough to teach me to pay very close attention and work slowly.
I just use a small mandolin. I hold onions or whatever with a flat hand but if its near the end I use the guard - which has little prongs to secure. I don't think I ever cut myself - yet!

001.jpg

I haven't had this that long. Maybe a bit less than a year or so.

it was given to me, but it still works very well. If it were to stop, I'd get another one like it. :wink:

Oldest "in use" gadget? ca.1950 National 12qt. pressure cooker..only use it for canning.Still works well!

National #5.JPG
Was given the old OXO tins..wasn't around to use them. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom