What kind of dried (or canned) beans do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:03 AM
What are your favourite dried or canned beans? My personal favourite is black beans 'cos I love the colour and earthy, vaguely smoky taste. But I use many other kinds as well, both dried and canned. Since son turned vegan I'm using more beans than ever! What types do you use? Do you use them in salads as well as hot dishes?

What are your favourite dried or canned beans?

Black beans for Burritos or Chili, Lima Beans, Kidney Beans or Lentils as a side to meals, Lentils in Soups or I like to do those many bean soups which can have up to 15 different types of beans. If black beans aren't available for Burritos or Chili, I'll opt for Red Beans which are usually what I'd use for Frijoles or Re-fried Beans.

I only use canned beans when too lazy to take those hours to boil up and soften dried beans.

Have a plethora of dried beans..for whatever purposes..kept in mason jars.
My fave lately is frozen edamame (soy bean pods) ..boiled a few minutes & tossed with salt & sesame oil..great TV snack! :)
You don't eat the entire thing, just sort of bite & draw the beans out..while savouring the salt & sesame oil..then toss the pod casings in a communal bucket

Canned black beans for my black bean salad/dip/salsa. Dried beans and peas for soups. I have mixed bean soup and white beans in the freezer. I have a package of split peas in the pantry. Ham in the freezer - time to make split pea soup.

Dried: Black beans if we want to take the time to make them from scratch. Red beans for red beans and rice. White beans, cannellini mostly, for various dishes.

Canned: Black beans that we doctor up for Cuban dishes or refrieds.

I only use canned beans when too lazy to take those hours to boil up and soften dried beans.
Canned beans are pretty good and they are really cheap here. I'm not sure cooking dried beans from scratch tastes that much better - and if I take into account electricity or gas then I'm not sure they are cheaper either.

Canned baked beans for toast, dried mung beans for dahl.

Canned beans for just about everything. I mostly use Goya brand. Well, I buy other brands for refried beans, and baked beans. I haven't had Batchelor's in so long now.

About the only dried bean or pea that I use is green or yellow split peas.

See the second paragraph.

And, they are called black eyed peas in the States, not beans.

Oh - I see @Shermie mentioned them in the second post (he called them beans) - can't spot any other mentions? Yes - black eyed peas is the commonly use US name. It aways used to confuse me! But then, we call mung beans 'beans' when they are in fact peas!

Back
Top Bottom