What makes a turtle pie?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
12:23 AM
Because, apparently it does not actually contain any turtles. Phew! I mean, I know I've said stuff about homesteading and getting ready to kill animals (respectfully--not, gonna-be-a-serial-killer-when-I'm-older kind of killing animals...) but I don't think I could bear to eat a turtle. It's like Mama Nature deemed them to be painfully shy by the entire make of their bodies.

But then... what does make a turtle pie? Usually when I run a food through a search engine, I get a Wikipedia page link up top the list of search results, and that tells me the entire history of a food, why it's called so, what ingredients used to be used for it...

Not this time. I thought that it would be called a turtle pie because the crust was so hard. I like me some hard ginger snaps, sure, but most turtle pies I get to eat--or remember eating at restaurants as a kid--are just too much work for something that's at the bottom anyway. It's like the crust is not only hard, but it refuses to "join" the rest of the ingredients, and I'm like, sure whatever crust you go do your own thing crust don't mind me just let the whole world revolve around you, crust! This could have been a turtle pudding and not a turtle pie and we all would have had a grand time without you, crust!

But apparently a graham cracker crust will do for turtle pie, so it's not that. A turtle pie seems to basically be a caramel and nuts pie, which would be quite hard, but as I remember it was usually a chocolate cream cheese cake with maybe a sprinkling of nuts.

Food wise a turtle is a chocolate candy bar like concoction of chocolate and peanuts. Turtle pies will consist of a graham cracker crust, whole peanuts, chocolate and peanut butter. Emeril has a recipe on the food network website. When I first read your post I thought the pie had turtle in it! lol!

Back
Top Bottom