What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken Cordon Bleu at the weekend and possibly another attempt at Beef Wellington later in the week.

[The cheese and ham are for the former]

Two of the fattest sausages I have ever seen, from our butcher. Fancied some comfort food tonight, so I'm thinking bangers and mash with an onion gravy.

We've been having fun creating recipes based around this new product to find its way onto the shelving.

_20190209_093124.JPG

Last edited:
Last weekend when we went out for breakfast, I got an alert from Yelp on my phone about a new market in the area we were at. They direct source all their foods, flash freeze, then vacu-pack. We decided to take a look yesterday since we were in the same area. They had regular beef products, Black Angus beef, regular pork, Duroc pork, bison, large assortment of veal products, as well as lamb, even had a whole lamb in the case, whole ducks, plus breasts and leg quarters, whole goose, quail, various Wagyu beef products, and all kinds of seafood. They even had demi glace at a reasonable price, under $5 for 3/4 pound. The prices were comparable to the groceries around here to a little lower in some cases.

We came home with a box of quail. Never had quail before, much less cooked it. I do know you have to be extremely careful not to overcook it from watching Top Chef.

I want to try a Wagyu steak. We had tried some ground up once and weren't impressed, but one of those good size ribeyes I saw is whispering come back and get me, come back and get me...

Last edited:
Delicious - it is quite a lean, dry bird so needs careful cooking. I generally pot roast them. They don't take long to cook. There is a lovely recipe here for roasted quail:

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/roast-quail-recipe-with-herb-butter

Thanks. I looked at the link for more quail recipes too and noticed several of them use truffle products. I just happen to have homemade truffle butter in the freezer from the last time we had truffles plus the truffled salt we bought at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. May mix up a couple of recipes.

Thanks. I looked at the link for more quail recipes too and noticed several of them use truffle products. I just happen to have homemade truffle butter in the freezer from the last time we had truffles plus the truffled salt we bought at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. May mix up a couple of recipes.

Truffle and quail - invite me in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom