What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

So here are some of the potatoes that I dug up yesterday. I haven't yet dug up all of them.

I've no idea weight wise what quantity has grown. This is the second batch I've dug up this autumn. I always wash my potatoes immediately whilst the soil and skins are still damp. I've found they clean up much more easily that way, but it means drying off the skins before storage, hence why they are out at the moment.

20240422_071812.jpg

Quite a few are huge this year, much bigger than in previous years. That space there, is about 5 to 6 foot long (3 cupboards wide).

20240422_071851.jpg

An example of some of the larger ones.

Some are purple all the way through, and I mean exactly the same colour as the skin, others are a paler colour inside but still primarily purple.

Amazon just dropped these off:

IMG_8091.jpeg
IMG_8090.jpeg

MrsT was reading about decaf coffee, now that she’s drinking more coffee, and found out that many coffee brands use some sort of chemical solvent in their decaffeination process, while others use a longer and more expensive all-water process.

She instantly thought, “Ick, solvents!” and asked me to dig around for some water-based ones.

First bit of good news, the local coffee producer (Boston Stoker), I contacted them and they use the water process, so that’s good. What I don’t like, is their coffee is $18US for a 12oz bag of beans.

Did a little research online, and found the coffee about, for less than $40 for 4 lbs of beans, plus free shipping, and if she likes it, they’ll do a subscription service and it’s even cheaper.

We’re going to try it tonight in place of our usual tea and see how it is.

Amazon just dropped these off:

View attachment 112641View attachment 112642

MrsT was reading about decaf coffee, now that she’s drinking more coffee, and found out that many coffee brands use some sort of chemical solvent in their decaffeination process, while others use a longer and more expensive all-water process.

She instantly thought, “Ick, solvents!” and asked me to dig around for some water-based ones.

First bit of good news, the local coffee producer (Boston Stoker), I contacted them and they use the water process, so that’s good. What I don’t like, is their coffee is $18US for a 12oz bag of beans.

Did a little research online, and found the coffee about, for less than $40 for 4 lbs of beans, plus free shipping, and if she likes it, they’ll do a subscription service and it’s even cheaper.

We’re going to try it tonight in place of our usual tea and see how it is.
Unfortunately the solvent based ones taste better (IMO) but I do choose the water processed ones for the same reasons.

I’ve figured out what most of the things that turned up in the shopping are for but what on earth did I buy this for? It’s not cheap so I’d quite like to remember!

IMG_2169.jpeg

If someone could use their powers to go back in time about three weeks ago and have a peek at what recipes I was reading back then that would be great. You’ll find me sitting in the sunshine in Spain drinking crisp cold white wine, which is probably why I have no I idea what I bought this for 😂

Sumac is the new "Balsamic vinegar"of the 90s - everyone puts it on everything because it's trendy. I believe it's used widely in Turkish cuisine, in za'atar, and possibly in many middle Eastern dishes, but I'm sure they don't plaster it on everything. Rather like Amchur and Anardana (dried green mango and dried pomegranate seeds) in Indian cuisine, it's used to add a delicious sour taste to a dish.

I’ve figured out what most of the things that turned up in the shopping are for but what on earth did I buy this for? It’s not cheap so I’d quite like to remember!

View attachment 112677

If someone could use their powers to go back in time about three weeks ago and have a peek at what recipes I was reading back then that would be great. You’ll find me sitting in the sunshine in Spain drinking crisp cold white wine, which is probably why I have no I idea what I bought this for 😂
If it was a recipe... then this is a list of all threads with a recipe prefix that contain the word sumac.

And this is a must of all threads that have the sumac tag.

If it was a recipe... then this is a list of all threads with a recipe prefix that contain the word sumac.

And this is a must of all threads that have the sumac tag.
Thanks! Thats my next lot of leisure reading settled.

I’ve used the ‘bookmark’ feature for the first time, wish I’d realised about that sooner! 😂

I like the Celeriac chips, I have a feeling it was something simple like a sumac butter on veg.

Sumac is the new "Balsamic vinegar"of the 90s - everyone puts it on everything because it's trendy. I believe it's used widely in Turkish cuisine, in za'atar, and possibly in many middle Eastern dishes, but I'm sure they don't plaster it on everything. Rather like Amchur and Anardana (dried green mango and dried pomegranate seeds) in Indian cuisine, it's used to add a delicious sour taste to a dish.
How long has it been trendy for?
I must be out of the loop but then I didn’t get into balsamic vinegar until well after the millennium 😂

Kroger and ALDI:

IMG_8141.jpeg
IMG_8142.jpeg

First fresh corn I’ve bought this year.

IMG_8143.jpeg
IMG_8144.jpeg

I prefer whole dills, but spears was all they had. I’m really enjoying those BH pickles, though. I used to buy Mt. Olive or ALDI brand, but these are superior, IMO.

I’m making money at ALDI, as several people, every time I go, don’t bother taking their cart back to get their quarter, and since they don’t have a cart corral in the parking lot, they’re just strewn all over, so if I have time, I usually grab a couple and trot them up, and get the quarters as my reward. I have about 15 quarters in the little coin pocket in each car.

Kroger and ALDI:

View attachment 112846View attachment 112847
First fresh corn I’ve bought this year.

View attachment 112848View attachment 112849
I prefer whole dills, but spears was all they had. I’m really enjoying those BH pickles, though. I used to buy Mt. Olive or ALDI brand, but these are superior, IMO.

I’m making money at ALDI, as several people, every time I go, don’t bother taking their cart back to get their quarter, and since they don’t have a cart corral in the parking lot, they’re just strewn all over, so if I have time, I usually grab a couple and trot them up, and get the quarters as my reward. I have about 15 quarters in the little coin pocket in each car.

Enough for a little packet of herbs? 😂

I found a packet of little gherkins/cucumbers in the supermarket the other day and bought them on impulse. I looked up my recipe for Polish gherkins, and made 4 jars. Just love them!

Back
Top Bottom