What type of vegetable peeler do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:41 AM
A spin off from another thread. So, what type of peeler do you use? Is it one similar to those pictured below? And what technique do you use? Over a sink, on a chopping board? Do you hold the vegetable in the air or place it on a board etc.?

Zyliss-Vegetable-Peeler30500.jpg

IMG_1817.JPG
vegetable-peeler.jpg
0fe7d8a8-70b6-40fc-b368-9994a87fcebe._SL300__.jpg
Potato_Peeler.jpg

There ya go, you must have been posting this at the same time I was replying to the original. :)
I use something very similar to number 3.
2 is basically the same thing, just old style.
I don't care for and can't get the hang of number 1 and number 5.
Number 4 has a fixed blade, I hate those. Its swivel or bust! lol
Nice peeler assortment, MG.

I use number 5 - which is basically the same as number 1. I use it mainly by placing the veg on a board and stroking the peeler across and at 45%. For carrots its by far the quickest I have found.

I use number 1. Its easy and I peel on a board. Its easy for potato and carrots. But how do you peel swedes? It is a bit of an unfashionable veggie but we like it here. We use it in tagines and stews and baked too. But it is not easy to peel.

I use the Thai version of number 4 (my English version with orange string is back in UK). As far as I recall, I only use it for peeling spuds and ginger.

potato peeler s.jpg

I use number 1. Its easy and I peel on a board. Its easy for potato and carrots. But how do you peel swedes? It is a bit of an unfashionable veggie but we like it here. We use it in tagines and stews and baked too. But it is not easy to peel.
The skin is a bit tough for a peeler. I usually cut them in half then skin them with the knife.

I use a good old-fashioned no. 4 when I do peel veg, either over the sink, the compost caddy, or the dog's dish depending what I'm peeling. However, I usually just give them a damn good scrub, over the sink. The only exceptions are garlic and ginger, which are peeled using a small knife.

I have used various peelers over the years, including an old Lancashire peeler, as #4, but it eventually became very rusty and fell apart

Now I use a Good Grips Y peeler and a sharp s/s veg knife, depending on the fruit or veg to be peeled

I do it mostly dry over a chopping board, occasionally dunking in a bowl of cold water

Back
Top Bottom