What was your first introduction to cooking?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
4:08 PM
My Mom did a lot of cooking, and almost all of our meals were home cooked, so of course, I was introduced to the concept of cooking from watching her and others in the family cook. However, the kitchen was her domain, and she didn't allow my siblings or me to do any cooking. I would bake desserts and other treats with friends at their homes, but I got my first taste of what I consider real cooking when I was trained as a breakfast cook at McDonald's.

I still dream of that huge grill/griddle in front of me, just waiting to be filled with eggs, pancakes, and other delights. I would sometimes work other shifts, and cooking the burgers and other items was enjoyable, but breakfast is still my favorite meal to cook.

My mom worked and I have two younger siblings, so I had to help out. My mom taught me to cook, I like to bake and have taught myself a lot of things I bake.

My mom was the first cooking influence I had. She was always in the kitchen cooking something and I would watch. Eventually she would let me help her bake, but I never really got interested in cooking until I was an adult. When I first moved out on my own, I had to learn how to cook out of necessity, and then I realized that I actually enjoyed doing it. After that, I started to read cooking magazines and watch cooking shows and the rest is history.

i cooked at home as part of my chores and could produce the evening meals at a early age ,i took kitchen jobs in the early 80s prepping food while at school,joining the army as a trainee chef at 16 as a junior apprentice ,then leaving to spread my wings in the real world.....and i am still cooking to this day as a job,still with passion and love

My first introduction to cooking would have been at primary school. I can remember making things like Rice Krispie cakes and Melting Moments there, as well as making scones and jam tarts with my mother. I loved Home Economics at secondary school too and by the time I moved away for university, I was well equipped to cook for myself.

It sounds as if we all got our starts differently. I'd forgotten until reading posts here that I used to help (mostly watch, since I didn't know what I was doing) a friend cook dinner for her family, when we were young. I thought it was an awful lot of responsibility for a child, and one time she was severely burned when the gravy boat spilled on her arm. Maybe that's why I've always preferred baking to other cooking. She recovered, thankfully, but I do think entire Sunday-type dinners are too much for young children. I think we were probably around 9-years-old at the time.

@missbishi We made brownies and lollipops in Home Ec(onomics), which was a good introduction to using a stove/oven, and measuring, but I wish they had taught a few non-desserts. Like @Rosyrain, I had to learn on my own when I moved into my first place. Thankfully, I had my breakfast cook training, and I bought a cookbook that I still have and use, so I didn't starve:laugh:.

Hmmm, I think my first introduction to cooking was when I moved out onto my own at age 19. I lived off of instant mashed potatoes, rice, and canned green beans! It didn't take me long to learn that anything our of a box or can that requires no preparation other than heating it on the stove doesn't really count as cooking, haha!

Hmmm, I think my first introduction to cooking was when I moved out onto my own at age 19. I lived off of instant mashed potatoes, rice, and canned green beans! It didn't take me long to learn that anything our of a box or can that requires no preparation other than heating it on the stove doesn't really count as cooking, haha!

Ha! Necessity sure is a great educator. I still have and use my first cookbook that I bought when I got my first apartment. It's such a pleasure to take raw ingredients and turn them into something not only edible, but a delicious and nutritious meal to serve ourselves and those we love.

Who can remember that far back? LOL. I remember being allowed to stir a pot of grits or something like that when I was in elementary school. I had to be somewhere between six and eight years old, but the chronology of that period has started to fade. I've always been interested in cooking though, and I'm guessing it started around that period.

Who can remember that far back? LOL. I remember being allowed to stir a pot of grits or something like that when I was in elementary school. I had to be somewhere between six and eight years old, but the chronology of that period has started to fade. I've always been interested in cooking though, and I'm guessing it started around that period.

Mmm, grits! I was introduced to them by my Dad. He and I shared a love of many foods, and he had tasted them when he took a business trip to Georgia. Back then, it was difficult to find food and other items from other parts of the country, so grits were a novelty, and were hard to obtain. When I moved down here to Texas, I was happy to discover that most business cafeterias cooked amazing grits, and I could have my fill. I'm glad we have those memories of tastes and aromas of lovely dishes cooked at home, because I know there are some, especially nowadays, who think all food comes in a box, and goes in the microwave.

I always wanted to help my mom in everything she was doing. I started by being allowed to stir the scrambled eggs while she was standing with me when I was about 5. It was really exciting for me. I gradually learned to do more things as I got older.

Mmm, grits! I was introduced to them by my Dad. He and I shared a love of many foods, and he had tasted them when he took a business trip to Georgia. Back then, it was difficult to find food and other items from other parts of the country, so grits were a novelty, and were hard to obtain. When I moved down here to Texas, I was happy to discover that most business cafeterias cooked amazing grits, and I could have my fill. I'm glad we have those memories of tastes and aromas of lovely dishes cooked at home, because I know there are some, especially nowadays, who think all food comes in a box, and goes in the microwave.

ROFLOL! We were just discussing that a few days ago - convenience food. I think the conversation had to do with dating and men who cook/frequent restaurants that server "real" food vs those who eat stuff like mac 'n cheese from a box. I have never liked grits (that came up too, coincidentally), though someone I dated a while back introduced me to golden grits which are much better.

Being souther, I do like shrimp and grits. I cooked grits last year to get them off the pantry shelf (of another guy, lol) only I made them with vegetable stock instead of water. Waaaaaay more tasty!

I'll have to look into golden grits, I'm not familiar with them, and I have never considered making them with stock, probably because I primarily consider them a breakfast food. I can definitely see how that would add flavor though, especially with shrimp! Learning about people's exposure to food and what they like to eat can tell you a lot. My brother-in-law had never had homemade mashed potatoes before he started dating my sister. He'd also never had anything but white bread. We grew up with all kinds of bread, as well as other foods, and I can't imagine having had had such limited exposure. Adulthood likes do seem, in many cases, to have a lot to do with early introduction. I had a co-worker before who had only had apples, oranges, and bananas, growing up. When he met his wife, he was introduced to peaches and other fruits...this is in the U.S., which amazed and saddened me.

My intro to cooking began when I used to watch my mom or dad cook pancakes on the stove for breakfast back when I was around 4- 5 years old. Eventually, I got to make my own and I ended up get a burn on my finger :P. It was painful yet a good learning experience to hold the pan properly while cooking!
I also remember that my mom and I used to bake lots of chocolate chip cookies (the box type) and during those times I learned the value of hygiene during baking/ cooking. Nowadays, I bake my own cookies, cupcakes, brownies from scratch and I'm currently trying out making cakes from scratch but so far it hasn't turned out well :/.

Back
Top Bottom