What was your last cooking failure?

I recently tried to make scalloped potatoes. It was a huge disaster. After all that peeling of potatoes and grating cheese, I ended up with tasteless mush. It's too bad, my husband loves scalloped potatoes too. I'll attempt them again, but it seems for all that work it should taste better.

@purplepen88 I'm seeing a lot of potato recipes like this where the potato has been replaced with ground cauliflower, so if you're looking for a little extra punch of flavor, and like cauliflower, that might be something to consider.

I have been wanting to bake cookies for a while, but was hesitant, since it's been so warm. The weather finally cooled off slightly the other day, so I decided to make a batch of these. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/brown-sugar-oatmeal-cookies.html Since I'm sort of impatient, I often melt the butter in the microwave, rather than leaving it to sit out and soften. I knew it could affect the outcome of the cookies, but I was o.k. with that. I let it cool down somewhat, before I incorporated it into the brown sugar, and then with the rest of the ingredients. I figured the dough would spread more than normal, so I left room for it to expand. What happened is that the dough spread out even more than I expected, and the brown sugar and 'melted' butter combined to caramelize and get crunchy at the edges of the cookies. Even though technically it was a disaster, I love the way the cookies turned out, and will probably do the same thing again. Next time, I would cool the butter a little more, so the cookies weren't quite as thin, but other than that, this was a somewhat successful failure.

Attachments

• brown sugar oatmeal cookies.jpeg
    brown sugar oatmeal cookies.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 118
I have so many it is hard to pick just one! lol. My mother used to make a Dutch Apple pancake that was super delicious. In attempting to replicate the recipe in a cast iron skillet..I got all the brown sugar and pecan mixture stuck on the bottom of the skillet due to overly high heat I guess. Anyway, I ate the apple pancake itself which was fair, but the skillet was impossible to clean...Maybe a chisel would work....hmmmm..

My last cooking fail was cooking a simple side dish of rice. I still to this day can not understand how I ended up burning the rice so badly. What is even worst is that I tried to salvage it and cover the burnt taste with a random concoction of sauces. Let's just say that the night wasn't well for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom