What would you get if you ordered

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
6:45 PM
Ok this is a fun little game to see how many foods are labeled differently across the world. All the sausage threads got me to thinking about this.
1. Sausage
In the US, more than likely you would be handed a bulk usually used for breakfast sausage.
In the UK I just learned you would get fresh pork sausage in a casing.

What other foods might be different?
Ground beef comes to mind. Here you not only might get a different variety of cow but you also have your choice of lean/fat ratios.
The most common are 73/27 80/20 85/15 93/7 and 96/4. The more fat, the cheaper the cost but more shrinkage too as the fat cooks away.

Another good one would be corn flour or cornflour.
In the US, you would get very finely ground corn, usually treated with lime. In the UK, you would get a thickener from the very center of the corn.
Now in the US, depending on the region you might be directed to the corn meal, which is also ground corn but a totally different texture and usage. It is good for polenta and cornbread and in some batters. Like for zucchini and onion rings.
Corn flour is more for tamales and gorditas and corn tortillas.

Chips is an obvious one. When I lived in Cairo (long time ago) a group of us went on a trip into the desert to a hotel by a lagoon. We ordered 'chips' (in the UK this means fries). They were quite a long time turning up - the chef had made what in the UK are called 'crisps' from scratch! They were absolutely delicious so we didn't complain.

Last edited:
Ok yes, our baked beans are navy beans (haricot) with all kinds of seasonings and sweetners.
Pork n beans is another good example. Here they are what the Brits call baked beans.
I think you have weiners or cooked sausages in yours.
Had to google to be sure we were talking about the same thing.

Ok yes, our baked beans are navy beans (haricot) with all kinds of seasonings and sweetners.
Pork n beans is another good example. Here they are what the Brits call baked beans.
I think you have weiners or cooked sausages in yours.
Had to google to be sure we were talking about the same thing.

Baked beans with sausages are not something I particularly care for. I just buy normal British baked beans and normal British sausages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baked beans with sausages are not something I particularly care for. I just buy normal British baked beans and normal British sausages.
Can't say I care for beanie weenies either. That is what they are called here. Baked beans with hot dog weiners in them.

Apologies in advance for any laughter caused by that name.

Not about food as such, but still in keeping with the title, when I went to live in Germany the first day was spent getting some utensils and buying food. There was a supermarket next door to the office, so I went in there to buy stuff. The tomatoes were sold loose, so I asked the assistant for half a kilo of tomatoes. She replied, but in German of course, "we don't use kilos here, we use pounds. One pound of tomatoes, there you go!"! It was the same for other foods to, but the pre-packed stuff came in grams.

[Definitely off topic, but just for your interest, from when I was in Greece. I soon discovered that petrol was βενζίνη (venzini = benzene) and diesel was πετρελαίου (petreleo = petrol)! It was also sold in gallons :laugh:]

Off topic: here petrol is called gasoline, has several different grades and is sold by the gallon. Also the price always in .9.

Off topic: here petrol is called gasoline, has several different grades and is sold by the gallon. Also the price always in .9.
In the UK and the rest of Europe, petrol is supposed to be sold in litres. An imperial gallon is not the same as an American gallon, and I think a Greek gallon was different to both of them. We only have 2 grades of petrol now - normal, and premium (which is supposed to clean the engine).

Interesting post ..

Courgette ( French and English ) is Zucchini in Usa English and in Italian ..

The French Word Aubergine, is used in the U.K. while, Eggplant is the term in Usa English ..

Tapas, Pintxos, Meze = small plates .. They are not really called appetisers here in Europe .. They are small dishes of local, Mediterranean food. It could be a Sunday´s Paella, which is available in most bars ..

A " ración " is a dish that you buy with your drink and it is larger than a Tapa (a Full portion in a Bar that you purchase) ..

A tapa is usually free and given to you when you buy a drink. We only pay for the drinks ..

Back
Top Bottom