What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More raspberries. There's no sign of them letting up at the moment. The red currants are just coming ripe as well.

20231125_164556.jpg

I'm so jealous of all your beautiful fruits. Congrats for the hard work
Thank you. The raspberries are having a stunningly good year this year.

So far this season my strawberries have been disappointing. I think I need to wade in and thin the plants out massively. I didn't get chance over winter. So they are too closely planted together and there is too much shelter for slugs. Plus the sun hasn't been out much this last week, so whilst they are ripening, they don't have much flavour.

I do need to get the apricot tree netted over in the next day or two. There are a few apricots on it this year and if they start to ripen before I cover the tree, we'll lose them all to the native wildlife. It's a big challenge in Australia keeping any fruit to yourself.

Thank you. The raspberries are having a stunningly good year this year.

So far this season my strawberries have been disappointing. I think I need to wade in and thin the plants out massively. I didn't get chance over winter. So they are too closely planted together and there is too much shelter for slugs. Plus the sun hasn't been out much this last week, so whilst they are ripening, they don't have much flavour.

I do need to get the apricot tree netted over in the next day or two. There are a few apricots on it this year and if they start to ripen before I cover the tree, we'll lose them all to the native wildlife. It's a big challenge in Australia keeping any fruit to yourself.

I had to completely wrap my peach tree in netting, or the birds pecked holes in every one of them.

CD

I raided the veg plot again. Seems like a while since I was last in there, but I know it wasn't.

I think I must have given 4 or 5 times as many strawberries to the chooks, full of slugs. The chooks actually stopped eating them for a while! 15 chooks full. That's unheard of. They usually kill over red fruit!

20231201_165916.jpg
20231201_165933.jpg
20231201_165952.jpg

I raided the veg plot again. Seems like a while since I was last in there, but I know it wasn't.

I think I must have given 4 or 5 times as many strawberries to the chooks, full of slugs. The chooks actually stopped eating them for a while! 15 chooks full. That's unheard of. They usually kill over red fruit!

View attachment 107572View attachment 107573View attachment 107574

We are picking strawberries atm and raspberries a day or 2 away. Peas being frozen.

Russ

More tree fellas; this time on our north side. However, these fellas are PEA (Provincial Electric Authority) contractors and visit quite regularly to trim the trees in proximity to the electric and telephone cables. They were a little more enthusiastic today.

Amateur tree fellas now clearing the undergrowth to the north left by the "professionals". It's the first time that I've seen my neighbour's house (or what's left of it) in over ten years!

Next door north 2 s.jpg

Watering rotation going. Picked a strawberry from patch, so much sweeter than store bought. Theres a heap of peas to be picked but I'll leave that for her. She likes to pick the goods.
She buys sheep manure in bags and mixes with the soil.
A few more raspberries as well.

Russ

I also picked some apricots today. They were starting to change colour which will attract the native bird life and if they spot them, the entire tree will be gone within an hour or so, so I'm picking the ones highest up that are starting to ripen. It will give the majority chance to ripen on the tree. I'm not able to net this tree over sadly.

20231214_174529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom