What's this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's not one of the names that I've heard it called.

[Edit: I've looked up images of salsify on the net and my image is not the same (albeit similar)]

That's not one of the names that I've heard it called.

[Edit: I've looked up images of salsify on the net and my image is not the same (albeit similar)]

The salsify I have is dark brown skinned and then white when peeled - but it has to be kept in acidulated water once peeled or it discolours. I haven't checked but I doubt salsify is sold in Thailand (might be wrong).

fingeroot.jpg

Here it's called "fingerroot"; but also Chinese ginger, Chinese keys and lesser galangal.

View attachment 22992

Here it's called "fingerroot"; but also Chinese ginger, Chinese keys and lesser galangal.

Ah - that's not salsify.

Boesenbergia rotunda, commonly known as Chinese keys, fingerroot, lesser galangal or Chinese ginger, is a medicinal and culinary herb from China and Southeast Asia. In English, the root has traditionally been called fingerroot, because the shape of the rhizome resembles that of fingers growing out of a center piece.
Wikipedia

Salsify is a root not a rhizome. It comes black or white (the black type is white when peeled):

growing-salsify.jpg salsify_16x9.jpg

I have some which I'm cooking today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom