What's this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't a clue...........

hot surface 1.jpg

Is it one of those heating elements that you stick in a pan of water to regulate the cooking?

No home should be without one.

However, I could find a better use for it.

I got it for Xmas - its an expensive toy but works brilliantly. Smoked food in seconds, literally. Its a Heston Blumenthal 'Sage' gadget.

An American friend brought me this, from where I know not. I wasn't really impressed but maybe I was using it wrong. There's 95% of it left in the bottle.

liquid smoke.jpg

An American friend brought me this, from where I know not. I wasn't really impressed but maybe I was using it wrong. There's 95% of it left in the bottle.

View attachment 18356

Yes I've got something similar. I use it occasionally - a tiny bit right at the end of cooking something like a bean stew. Even a little added to regular baked beans so they taste more like Boston baked beans. But if you use too much its horrible. And no use for smoking cheese or eggs...

Yes, if you use even a few drops too many, it ends up tasting kind of artificial, or weird.

I'm not a big fan of liquid smoke. I'd rather add an ingredient that is actually smoked to impart that flavour, like chipotles, or smoked finishing salts, or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom