What's your go-to meal after a long day?

sase3119

Veteran
Local time
8:36 PM
I'm sure you all have those days too - you get home from a long day of work, when everything has gone wrong, and really can't be bothered making an effort.

My staple on these nights is to mix rice, scrambled eggs, and some bacon or ham pieces together with sweet chilli sauce. Takes me five minutes to do and tastes awesome.
Tonight I went for the route of bacon and eggs on toast - even quicker and you can never go wrong with bacon and eggs.

What do you throw together when you're tired and hungry?

If I have them, tv dinners, pot pies, or frozen pizza are the easiest. But if I don't have them I go with spaghetti. Its easier and cheaper than any thing else. Also, I use sauce out of a jar. I can't make homemade until I find a decent recipe.

A simple bacon broth: Back bacon chopped and fried with onion, add chicken stock (Knorr cube) and diced potatoes. A little tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, mixed dried herbs, S&P. Simmer until the spuds are very soft. serve with bread to dunk. Simple and comforting.

A simple bacon broth: Back bacon chopped and fried with onion, add chicken stock (Knorr cube) and diced potatoes. A little tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, mixed dried herbs, S&P. Simmer until the spuds are very soft. serve with bread to dunk. Simple and comforting.
S&P? Am I being thick (?). I'm in UK too and don't know what this is... I like the simplicity of the recipe, though. Oh, I am being dumb... just realised you must mean salt and pepper!:oops: :laugh:

Usually if I'm home late I just have leftovers that are already in the fridge, or I'll throw together a ramshackle salad with whatever veggies and protein we have available. I try to still eat reasonably healthy despite being time poor because I know I'd be a whole lot more exhausted if I ate junk food.

Sometimes I'll also just boil some sort of pasta or noodles and have those with some sort of light tomato based sauce.

I love the idea of eggs smiling at me after a long day. I usually cook a simple sunny side up. I melt a teaspoon of butter under low heat. I then crack the egg open and let it fry on its own. The result is a perfect fried egg with no burnt edges, no excess oil, not rubbery but moist and delicious egg. I can top it on anything I have available like bread, pita, or even rice. This is enough for me to give me the energy I consumed during the day.

TV dinners are my quick go to meal after a long day if I don't feel like cooking at all. If I want to cook something simple I will boil a package of cheese tortellini and top it with spaghetti sauce. Takes about 20 minutes total with very little effort.

Breakfast for dinner is always a good quick choice for us.
I also make a one-pot spaghetti puttanesca that takes maybe half an hour start to finish, and most of that time it's just simmering on the stove.
Chop up some onions and garlic, throw it in the pot with some veggie stock, diced tomatoes, olives, and whole wheat spaghetti noodles, and 20 minutes later it's turned itself into a meal :)

It's become a real bad habit but I eat instant pho noodles. I love eating rice noodles with beef I cooked overnight it's pretty easy to do but I'm so wary of processed foods these days and I'm gonna stop relying on instant foods by making my own soup from now on. Something that I can just eat heat up easily.

This may sound a bit plain jane, but I'm almost always in the mood for a burger and fries when I get home from work. When I go grocery shopping, I always make it a point to get a large bag of frozen fries, and a large pack of ground beef as well as a couple packs of hamburger buns. I figure this will help prevent me from impulsively hitting up fast food joints and paying a lot more, as well as consuming a lot more fat and calories than I should be eating. It only takes about 30 min in my oven to bake a burger and some fries, and it's much healthier and less fattening too. Plus I can make the burger patties much bigger and more substantial than what they give you at most fast food joints, without paying a premium.

Next in line as my go to meals when I would get home from work, would be either a pasta dish or a pizza. I tend to gravitate towards mostly Italian meals/recipes for the most part, and things with tomato sauces and cheeses.

When I was still single, we used to have hamburger patties. Coming home late from school activities, my mother would fry me 2 patties that she would call hamburger steak (but it's just plain hamburger). I remember the garnishing was unpeeled sliced cucumber. It's an ordinary food for me then. But when I married and had a changed lifestyle, I would miss those "hamburger steak" of my mother. Now, my comfort food is boiled eggs and crackers.

I took a while to come to this thread but I think I can say that in the last few weeks I've gone to an egg or two with all kinds of variations and ingredients if I'm feeling out of it and tired. I like the mixture with pita and some melted cheese. Sometimes I have stuck some chips in the oven but I tire of those seasoned chips that I don't really trust. I think I have seasons for go to meals. Right now it's the egg season.

Depending on what meat I have in the freezer, but my go to meal is usually a chicken stir fry with broccoli or peppers. I use a black bean sauce, lots of garlic and ginger. I serve it over white rice. I always keep frozen spring rolls in my freezer so I have a quick appetizer on hand.

The kids come home from school hungry, I try to have a big pot of spaghetti ready for dinner along with some garlic bread it is quick and very satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom