When was the last time you used a new ingredient?

When was the last time you used a new ingredient?

• A few days ago

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • A few weeks ago

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • A few months ago

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A year ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't remember

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't use new ingredients

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think "kaiware" was the last new (to me) ingredient that I used. Added it to a sandwich if my memory serves me correctly.

Kaiware s.jpg

I think "kaiware" was the last new (to me) ingredient that I used. Added it to a sandwich if my memory serves me correctly.

View attachment 6031

I had to look that one up. They are daikon radish sprouts. I've seen them in our Korean market. How were they? Peppery and crunchy, or bitter maybe?

I had to look that one up. They are daikon radish sprouts. I've seen them in our Korean market. How were they? Peppery and crunchy, or bitter maybe?

I found them a very pleasant taste. The flavour of radish was there but not overpowering. Yes, crunchy like beansprouts but the kaiware wasn't warmed.

For me, it would be guar guar gum I think. Though agar powder is another recent new ingredient. After that, well there have been quite a few new soya bean pastes (miso) whilst trying to find the one we prefer. Several new sugars including coconut sugar. Believe it or not, I've never previously used tomato ketchup or worstershire sauce until very recently and there have been a couple of others which have left me scratching my head. I'll have to list those tomorrow...

For me, it would be guar guar gum I think. Though agar powder is another recent new ingredient. After that, well there have been quite a few new soya bean pastes (miso) whilst trying to find the one we prefer. Several new sugars including coconut sugar. Believe it or not, I've never previously used tomato ketchup or worstershire sauce until very recently and there have been a couple of others which have left me scratching my head. I'll have to list those tomorrow...

Now there you go, I have been struggling to work out what my response to this question was but you’ve reminded me. I didn’t used to use Worcester sauce in anything – my wife uses it in her cottage pie and I am very aware of what it gives to that – but I suppose I had never encountered a recipe that called for it. Until recently. I have used it in a couple of different things recently, entirely under the influence of watching Marcus Wareing on Masterchef Professionals. One of the things he used it in was his Welsh Rarebit recipe, and another thing he used for the rarebit in place of the more traditional ale, was mead, which gives it a slightly sweet background.

As for tomato ketchup, I was fascinated to find that even Monica Galetti, when demonstrating making a Marie Rose sauce, used ketchup. When I make Marie Rose sauce, I use tomato puree. You only need the merest spot of it to colour the mayonnaise pink. The flavours come from the paprika and tobasco – oh, and the lemon juice of course. In any case, I have still never found a need to use ketchup as an ingredient.

I have still never found a need to use ketchup as an ingredient.

I use ketchup for burgers and occasionally hot dogs. I would never think of using it for Marie Rose (I use the same ingredients as you basically).

However, I do use it as an ingredient together with balsamic vinegar in a slight adaptation of Jamie Oliver's marinade for blackened pork (which I love).

Worcestershire sauce is an essential ingredient in black/green pepper sauce (IMO) and in my version of mushroom cream sauce.

The best use of worcestershire sauce, imo, is on raw, ripe tomatoes.

Instead of a salt shaker, my dad and I would go into our garden with a bottle. He would pick the most perfectly ripe tomatoes, slice them into a bowl, and douse them with worcestershire sauce.

They were so good that even when the tomatoes were gone, I would drink the leftover sauce and mucilage.

The best use of worcestershire sauce, imo, is on raw, ripe tomatoes.

Instead of a salt shaker, my dad and I would go into our garden with a bottle. He would pick the most perfectly ripe tomatoes, slice them into a bowl, and douse them with worcestershire sauce.

They were so good that even when the tomatoes were gone, I would drink the leftover sauce and mucilage.

Add some vodka and you have a Bloody Mary!

Back
Top Bottom