Where do you go to buy your liquor, wine & beer from?

Looks like 5 cases to me!!

In the picture there were 5 cases on the ground plus 1 still being unloaded. Then there were another 4 yet to be unloaded. No point in having less than 10 delivered.

archa stack s.jpg

In the picture there were 5 cases on the ground plus 1 still being unloaded. Then there were another 4 yet to be unloaded. No point in having less than 10 delivered.

My god!!! Where in the world do you plan to store all of that?!!! Looks like enough to fill the baggage hold of a 777!!!! Hah!!!! :eek:
777.3.jpg

Last edited:
Here (Ontario, Canada), grocery stores have only been permitted to sell wine & beer since 2015. Spirits can only be purchased from the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario, stores that sell all types of alcoholic beverages - affectionately referred to as the “Lic-bo”).

We buy our spirits there, obviously. We’re members of 2 different wine clubs and get wines delivered to our door every month (we almost always have a wine surplus).

We buy beer in variety of different ways - often from The Beer Store (a chain of stores owned by some sort of collective of brewers), since we need to go there anyway to return our empties and get the deposit back. There’s a great brewery in my city, sometimes we buy directly from there. Sometimes from the LCBO, if we happen to be in there anyway. And sometimes we buy from the supermarket, since it’s easy and convenient.

we need to go there anyway to return our empties and get the deposit back.
That’s brought back a couple of memories.

When I was a little kid, we collected pop bottles, walking in the ditch along the side of the road, 10¢ a bottle, redeemable at the local grocery store.

When I was dating my (now) wife, we always visited her folks each Sunday, the whole family generally gathered, and that’s something I always did with my FIL - as soon as we rolled up, I’d help him load bags and bags of empties right back into town, to the beer distributor’s, and they’d count them up, give him a slip with a few bucks of credit on it, and then we’d pick out beer for that day and the rest of the week.

Here (Ontario, Canada), grocery stores have only been permitted to sell wine & beer since 2015. Spirits can only be purchased from the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario, stores that sell all types of alcoholic beverages - affectionately referred to as the “Lic-bo”).

We buy our spirits there, obviously. We’re members of 2 different wine clubs and get wines delivered to our door every month (we almost always have a wine surplus).

We buy beer in variety of different ways - often from The Beer Store (a chain of stores owned by some sort of collective of brewers), since we need to go there anyway to return our empties and get the deposit back. There’s a great brewery in my city, sometimes we buy directly from there. Sometimes from the LCBO, if we happen to be in there anyway. And sometimes we buy from the supermarket, since it’s easy and convenient.

One of my best friends in High School moved to Port Arthur from Kingston, Ontario. He used to toss out Canadian terms/words from time to time that gave us Texans a good laugh.

We used to have "beer stores" in parts of Texas that didn't allow any alcohol to be sold in grocery or convenience stores. In college, we could buy beer anywhere, but had to drive about 30 miles to buy spirits.

There was a "Beer Barn" near campus, with "drive-thru" beer sales. It is still there (40 years later).

1697327127842.jpeg

Real photo of the Denton, Texas beer barn.

CD

That’s brought back a couple of memories.

When I was a little kid, we collected pop bottles, walking in the ditch along the side of the road, 10¢ a bottle, redeemable at the local grocery store.

We did the same but I believe we received
1697326921026.png
(thrupence) per bottle.

My empties are now collected and we currently receive ฿8.00 per 12 bottle case (about 25 US cents).

recycle-2.jpg

One of my best friends in High School moved to Port Arthur from Kingston, Ontario. He used to toss out Canadian terms/words from time to time that gave us Texans a good laugh.

We used to have "beer stores" in parts of Texas that didn't allow any alcohol to be sold in grocery or convenience stores. In college, we could buy beer anywhere, but had to drive about 30 miles to buy spirits.

There was a "Beer Barn" near campus, with "drive-thru" beer sales. It is still there (40 years later).

View attachment 105887
Real photo of the Denton, Texas beer barn.

CD
Those drive-through beer stops are very popular here, though they do sell more than beer (milk, bread, pop, candy, snacks).

The development of a settlement around here is as follows:

House
Another house
A third house
Church
Another church
Another church
Yet another church
Bar
Drive-through beer stop
Congratulations, you’re now a village

I’m heading to the licbo to get a couple of mickeys. After that I’m stopping by the beer store to pick up a couple of two-fours, gonna really work on the Molson muscle, eh?

Our terms flagon jar half g. Peta
Beer containers half gallon. Normally fill your own.
Bottle stores in ozzy are bottleos.

Russ

I live in Utah. One of the most alcohol unfriendly states around. When I first moved here the few liquor stores were like banks. You'd walk in and there would be windows with steel bars, like bank tellers. Along the wall were counters with pencils and paper pads. On the wall were typewritten sheets of products, with a code number. You would go through the list, find the product you wanted, write down the code numbers. Then take the paper to one of the windows, where the clerk would fill your order in a brown paper bag.

These days you can still only buy liquor and wine from state stores, but at least the products are on display, and you can see what you are getting. Still can't buy cold beer at a state store, though. It used to be 3.2 beer was available in grocery stores, high test stuff only at state stores. They have since raised the ABV to 5% for grocery store purchases, done away with 3.2 beer. A lot has changed in the 50 years I've lived here, but Utah still has some of the weirdest liquor laws around!

mjb.

I live in Utah. One of the most alcohol unfriendly states around. When I first moved here the few liquor stores were like banks. You'd walk in and there would be windows with steel bars, like bank tellers. Along the wall were counters with pencils and paper pads. On the wall were typewritten sheets of products, with a code number. You would go through the list, find the product you wanted, write down the code numbers. Then take the paper to one of the windows, where the clerk would fill your order in a brown paper bag.

These days you can still only buy liquor and wine from state stores, but at least the products are on display, and you can see what you are getting. Still can't buy cold beer at a state store, though. It used to be 3.2 beer was available in grocery stores, high test stuff only at state stores. They have since raised the ABV to 5% for grocery store purchases, done away with 3.2 beer. A lot has changed in the 50 years I've lived here, but Utah still has some of the weirdest liquor laws around!

mjb.

I've been to a liquor store in SLC, and I felt like I was in a brothel, or something else dirty. :laugh:

Oklahoma is a 3.2 beer, AKA "near beer," state. You can only buy full octane beer at liquor stores, and it can't be sold cold. The first time I went to Oklahoma, a co-worker and I were in the OKC airport, and we had a flight delay. We each had about four beers, and my co-worker mentioned that he didn't even have a buzz, and I said the same thing. A local near us laughed and told us we were drinking near beer.

CD

Back
Top Bottom