Which 'disposable' kitchen items do you re-use?

I always laugh at one of my SIL's, who's a bit frugal. She'll cut open the toothpaste tube to scrape the last little bit out, and her kitchen drawers are a mess because they're full of stray bits of tinfoil and ziploc bags that she's rinsed out for reuse.

Today I decided to try washing used sheets of paper kitchen roll. Its a good quality thick one. It works perfectly well if I rinse under the tap and then dry out. I'm talking of kitchen roll I've used to mop up spills - not really heavily soiled. I probably shouldn't be using kitchen roll in the first place as a cloth is more economical and no doubt more eco friendly.

Toilet paper is next on the list. :D

I re-use foil too.... did so before the virus. When it gets nasty it goes out.

But I've saved about three plastic bags for food storage so far, since the virus. I'll be re-using those I will admit I don't save bags that had anything oily or greasy in them. Not worth the effort in de-greasing them.

I've always saved full size supermarket grocery paper bags - for recyclables and such.

I'm starting to save those little disposable wipes that come with the disinfectant in them. I read it is possible to make a new batch - and i have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol here). So when I finish with the canister, I'll load those up.

During the shelter in place, I have started reusing the ziploc bags that I kept dry items in like veggies, fruits, crackers. If it held wet and guey - toss it.

I'm the worst on the planet, I biff everything out. Like petrol people say to me, you use a lot, my catch cry is they're still making it aren't they? Maybe because I grew up poor, I don't scrimp on anything.?
Even when grilling tandoori I use foil folded three times so nothing leaks. I imagine TastyReuben s.i.l would have a fit,lmao

Russ

I'm the worst on the planet, I biff everything out. Like petrol people say to me, you use a lot, my catch cry is they're still making it aren't they? Maybe because I grew up poor, I don't scrimp on anything.?
Even when grilling tandoori I use foil folded three times so nothing leaks. I imagine TastyReuben s.i.l would have a fit,lmao

Russ
I must admit, I'm a lot like you in that respect, and I do think it's from my childhood. We had plenty of food, but very little money, and nowadays, I don't like to be seen as cheap or miserly.

I must admit, I'm a lot like you in that respect, and I do think it's from my childhood. We had plenty of food, but very little money, and nowadays, I don't like to be seen as cheap or miserly.

Lol, funny thing is I like to have big stuff, V8s, home, I remember taking my kids camping for the first time, ( I never went camping) I bought the biggest tent you could buy at the time, a Coleridge, about 30x 15 foot. Went camping and two other people had the same tent. When we got home I took the tent and had another 10 foot extension and a roof extension for shade. I never saw a bigger one again. ( just me, I'm weird) lol.
Maybe compensating for having nothing???

Russ

We buy pint and quart plastic containers at Restaurant Depot for freezing stocks, soups and some meals. The last time we bought these containers, they lasted several years.

Back
Top Bottom