Which fresh herbs do you use the most?

Which fresh herbs do you use the most. You can choose 3.

• Coriander

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Parsley

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Basil

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Mint

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Thyme

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Rosemary

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Dill

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Chives

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Lemon Grass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tarragon

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:35 AM
Coriander (cilantro) is UK's favourite herb, it seems. This is a poll from a few years ago but my guess is its not changed much although it wouldn't surprise me if basil had taken over from parsley in second place. What are you favourite fresh herbs?

The UK’s top-10 best-selling herbs in the past 12 months (2014), are:

1. Coriander (30,097,897 pots, bunches and packs sold)
2. Parsley (23,260,062)
3. Basil (19,358,700)
4. Mint (11,543,406)
5. Thyme (5,453,447)
6. Rosemary (5,389,971)
7. Dill (5,118,104)
8. Chives (4,730,156)
9. Lemon Grass (2,471,249)
10. Tarragon (1,935,039)

Source: http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/162865/coriander-now-uks-best-selling-herb

Last edited:
I'm surprised oregano isn't there, we grow all our own here, fresh coriander and basil used all the time, we freeze surplus of these. My wife's dehydrates parsley, plain and Italian, rosemary thyme and oregano. I use lots of basil and oregano in my Italian dishes. I never used to think parsley had much flavour but have changed my mind. I use it in my croquettes which is my most popular request.

Russ

We are picking fresh basil ATM, but too early for coriander but that will be planted very soon. The other herbs mentioned are all store bought and dried.

Russ

A few weeks ago, we were trying to come up with something for dinner because we didn't feel like going to the grocery. I suggested chicken with pesto because we had some basil in the refrigerator that needed to be used, so we agreed on that. Unfortunately, some of it had turned dark and there wasn't enough to make pesto so we had to figure something else out. Next day, we realized we had a big basil plant in the window. :facepalm:

That was a difficult one to answer as I also use thyme and chives a lot. But it has reminded me I didn't grow tarragon this year and I've not used dill for ages. Lemongrass I tend to use a jar as only use occasionally. Rosemary I really only use on potatoes and coriander is banned in our house:D (husband is one of these people who say it tastes of bleach).

We use coriander the most but lately dill has been a favourite. It seems to last quite well in the salad drawer.

Like your hubby, my wife hates coriander but she knows the rest love it. She grows it and picks it for the freezer as well. I absolutely love it. I love rubbing it over my hands and smelling it.

Russ

I'm surprised oregano isn't there, we grow all our own here, fresh coriander and basil used all the time, we freeze surplus of these. My wife's dehydrates parsley, plain and Italian, rosemary thyme and oregano. I use lots of basil and oregano in my Italian dishes. I never used to think parsley had much flavour but have changed my mind. I use it in my croquettes which is my most popular request.

Russ

Sorry - too late to add oregano to the poll. I use that a lot too - often as I might use thyme. I agree re parsley and I'm experimenting with using it more.

Sorry - too late to add oregano to the poll. I use that a lot too - often as I might use thyme. I agree re parsley and I'm experimenting with using it more.
It's used a lot in Portuguese cooking along with bay (which is also missing from the list).

Ah. But rereading the original survey the list was of the top selling herbs in the UK. I don't think I've seen fresh bay in a supermarket (usually dried). The same with oregano. I grow mine (read: kill them off regularly)

Last edited:

Too late? You're the admin. You can modify anything. Read anything. Change anything (within the extents of the code, of course).

Oregano would of had my vote instead of mint as only use mint mainly in desserts but oregano gets used at nearly every evening meal. Chives are used often especially in potato dishes. I also grow lemongrass but mainly use it in simmering potpourri.

Coriander (cilantro) is UK's favourite herb, it seems

I'd be astonished if that were the case. According to your published poll, it was only the UK's most popular bought fresh herb.

I've only bought fresh herbs once or twice in my life, yet I've used herbs in cooking just about every day for the last 40 years.

As far as using fresh herbs go, I use whatever I can get for free - rosemary, mint and parsley mostly - but there are others available here which aren't on your list, like sage. I've always got dried thyme and basil for when I need them too.

Fresh coriander is available here in supermarkets but it's ridiculously expensive. I'm sure it's only on the shelves for holidaying Brits who seem to have far more disposable income than us locals. That'll change soon.

I'd be astonished if that were the case. According to your published poll, it was only the UK's most popular bought fresh herb.

Yes that's right. But then again I'd say majority of the population buy herbs rather than grow them - coriander is incredibly popular in the UK and had been for several years now. This isn't the only poll that has shown that.

Basil, and Italian flat-leaf parsley.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom