Which spices don't you have?

Water bugs as in ROACHES? I would have to be fairly intoxicated to try that . I would - only after enough booze.

I have a huge collection of spices. I also have loads of herbs and chilli plants in the garden.

I'd not heard of achiote before so must try that. I don't have caraway seeds. I can't think of anything else.

I'd not heard of achiote before

Neither had I until recently and thanks to this Forum (thanks @CraigC :okay:). You will probably have to buy it over the internet - Sous Chef do it. Its not expensive but of course you have to add postage. I bought the paste (which is pure achiote) and some powder. The paste will make at least 4 meals.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 21.40.30.png

I just did an audit of my spices/herbs/pulses. I'm missing cumin seeds and I use those a lot (but have been using up the two lots of powder I ended up with). Also missing garlic/onion salt. I have 65. Not including fresh ginger, garlic and chilli in the fridge and then there are the herbs in the garden and a few jars I have left at my parents' (I know there is whole nutmeg there from Christmas, but also some five spice and some jerk seasoning I made and a few more.)

I need to sort out my flours next. I think there are about 8-10.

Frightening amount, especially as I have a tiny kitchen.

I've got a huge collection of spices but there are, I'm sure, some that are missing. For example, I've recently discovered achiote (thanks to @CraigC). I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it on this forum.

So, I suppose you might not know what you are missing - but perhaps there are some spices you have never tried? Have a think!
I have so many of that stuff in my little spice and seasoning drawer it's overflowing lol. I don't know if anyone has suggested it or not but how about cardamon? It cost an arm and a leg here but it's worth it. I have a small little tiny bag of it and I carefully add a little to some of my dishes and it adds a wonderful taste to the food. Here in Egypt it's put in rice,stews and soups. If you can get it I highly recommended it.

Green cardamoms are reasonably priced here but if I want black, I need to import them from India. As far as I'm aware, even Malaysia don't have them.

I have so many of that stuff in my little spice and seasoning drawer it's overflowing lol. I don't know if anyone has suggested it or not but how about cardamon? It cost an arm and a leg here but it's worth it. I have a small little tiny bag of it and I carefully add a little to some of my dishes and it adds a wonderful taste to the food. Here in Egypt it's put in rice,stews and soups. If you can get it I highly recommended it.

Its easily available in the UK and not expensive (both green and black).

Sumac is in my spice cupboard as are Barberries and Mountain Pepperberry. I have quite a few unusual ones but knowing what isn't in there is quite difficult.

I don't have whole allspice berries, just ground allspice. I don't have achiote seed either, nor do I have annatto seed.
But if you take away the spice mixes, I have most (99%) in this list and a few more besides.

This list contains a few more I don't have like Cubeb berries, pink peppercorns and ground tamarind. That's something I haven't come across before (is it the stone in the tamarind date that is ground?)

Back
Top Bottom