White Onion Sauce?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:59 AM
I came across this many years ago and thought it may complement Yorkshire fried chicken. However, I really don't know how to make it. I'm thinking of starting with a base béchamel sauce but do I fry the onions, boil them or just add them raw? Is there anything else that I should add (in addition to seasoning)? Perhaps sliced mushrooms? I will likely serve the chicken with mashed potatoes and garden peas or shredded cabbage.

Any ideas?

I came across this many years ago and thought it may complement Yorkshire fried chicken. However, I really don't know how to make it. I'm thinking of starting with a base béchamel sauce but do I fry the onions, boil them or just add them raw? Is there anything else that I should add (in addition to seasoning)? Perhaps sliced mushrooms? I will likely serve the chicken with mashed potatoes and garden peas or shredded cabbage.

Any ideas?

Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve @Yorky but I've made something similar to this before and I steamed the onions (not for long - maybe 3/4 mins, just to soften them and remove the sharp taste) - and then, as you say, add them to a béchamel. You could try grated nutmeg as an additional seasoning. Really fresh sliced mushrooms would be worth trying but I'm always wary of them adding extra liquid to the sauce.

Hope that helps?

My mum used to make this to go with a bacon joint. She cooked the onions in butter until golden then she would add the flour and milk. Added salt and pepper. I can never make it this way as I get lumps so I take the onions out with a slotted spoon leaving the butter and add the onions back once the sauce is made.

I've tried a gluten and dairy free version with little success so far.

I am only able to make white sauce using the Delia Smith method (I've no idea why) so the onions, however cooked (or not), will be added after the sauce has thickened. That's the plan anyway.

I grew up in Lancashire (the other side of the hill) and my mother used to make a 'bread sauce' to go with roast chicken. I'm sure that was a white sauce with softened onion - but how + when she incorporated the bread, I can no longer remember. But it did go very well with the chicken - which is your plan, I think. If you're curious about that bread sauce, I'll try and get more information

I grew up in Lancashire (the other side of the hill) and my mother used to make a 'bread sauce' to go with roast chicken. I'm sure that was a white sauce with softened onion - but how + when she incorporated the bread, I can no longer remember. But it did go very well with the chicken - which is your plan, I think. If you're curious about that bread sauce, I'll try and get more information

I am intending to use it to accompany this chicken.

fried chicken scallops 2 s.jpg

Oh, well maybe not the bread sauce - it would be just too heavy, I think. A simple onion sauce would work well though. You could try adding some thyme to the sauce too (memories of thyme + onion stuffing with chicken). I'd also consider slices of fresh lemon on the plate as a flavour contrast (and to counter the batter).

Oh, well maybe not the bread sauce - it would be just too heavy, I think. A simple onion sauce would work well though. You could try adding some thyme to the sauce too (memories of thyme + onion stuffing with chicken). I'd also consider slices of fresh lemon on the plate as a flavour contrast (and to counter the batter).

We don't have thyme but we do have a plethora of limes (not lemons).

Seriously? no access to thyme (fresh or dried)? That would do my head in.

I'm struggling to think if I've ever eaten lime with chicken - but in the interests of culinary exploration, it must be worth a go

Seriously? no access to thyme (fresh or dried)? That would do my head in.

I'm sure I could find some dried in a jar somewhere or at least have some sent to me from Bangkok, but I rarely use it. The flavour would be lost given all the chillis that are eaten here.

I love bread sauce.

Delia does an onion and mustard sauce a bit like my mum's but this one looks really thin which must be the stock she adds.
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/gravy-sauces-and-stock/onion-and-mustard-sauce

Thanks @Herbie - I had a quick look at the Delia recipe - it's very mustardy and would be brilliant with bacon, ham or gammon. Not sure if it would suit @Yorky - I guess it depends on whether he likes mustard.

Do you know what 'sauce flour' is? I've not come across it before.

I've asked this question before. It's just flour, plain.

And I love mustard!

In that case do check out that Delia recipe - it looks straightforward and, as usual, her instructions are clear. Hopefully you have access to the two mustards she proposes …?

Back
Top Bottom