Who has green fingers?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:01 PM
greenfingers_innerbig.jpg

Its going to be Spring for many of us soon (can't wait!). Will you be growing your own vegetables, fruit or herbs? To be honest, I hate gardening and the most I can manage is a few potted herbs and even they seem to die. Are you green-fingered or are you like me? Do you plan to grow anything in 2017?

Last edited:
Wish we could but the water bill would be sky high.
That is something I hadn't considered. I'm on metered water here but the bills are really low so I don't consider it. I guess there might be things that would grow without too much water - but I'm no expert. Perhaps @SatNavSaysStraightOn would know.

Something like rosemary (this and sage are the only two herbs I have surviving) seems to deal with severe cold and severe heat.

That is something I hadn't considered. I'm on metered water here but the bills are really low so I don't consider it. I guess there might be things that would grow without too much water - but I'm no expert. Perhaps @SatNavSaysStraightOn would know.

Something like rosemary (this and sage are the only two herbs I have surviving) seems to deal with severe cold and severe heat.
If we got rain that would be a help. Some years we get lots of rain and other years we don't.
You know you hear about the droughts that last for a few weeks in California.
Well Texas went 2 years without any moisture whatsoever and the National media never said a word.
We had millions of acres burn and lost several lakes.
Heck on that note, a deserted city was found under one lake. And another lake solved 8 missing person reports dating back to the 60's. The lakes starting drying up and things and people were found.
The 8 people were found still in their cars. They had missed a turn at night and driven into the lake.
We were on water rationing. The first year you had 2 hours twice a week that you could water. If you were caught watering any other time the fines started at $500. The second year, no watering.
Different cities had different rules.

If we got rain that would be a help. Some years we get lots of rain and other years we don't.
You know you hear about the droughts that last for a few weeks in California.
Well Texas went 2 years without any moisture whatsoever and the National media never said a word.
We had millions of acres burn and lost several lakes.
Heck on that note, a deserted city was found under one lake. And another lake solved 8 missing person reports dating back to the 60's. The lakes starting drying up and things and people were found.
The 8 people were found still in their cars. They had missed a turn at night and driven into the lake.
We were on water rationing. The first year you had 2 hours twice a week that you could water. If you were caught watering any other time the fines started at $500. The second year, no watering.
Different cities had different rules.
The images your post conjures up are quite extraordinary! I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

I mentioned rosemary because a have a friend with a house in the South of France. He has a rosemary bush which has survived 15 years of searing hot summers, most times without watering.

I mentioned rosemary because a have a friend with a house in the South of France. He has a rosemary bush which has survived 15 years of searing hot summers, most times without watering.
My brother lives in a region where rosemary grows wild.
Though dang brat, he hasn't texted or emailed prime rib instructions yet. Oh in his defense, he worked from 6 am to after Midnight yesterday. He is a cook at a restaurant that is open Christmas.
He also went to culinary school.

Not much room here to grow things but there is a fire escape and we have a bay tree in a pot on the top step. I expect is a health and safety hazard. Ha ha.

View attachment 4659
Its going to be Spring for many of us soon (can't wait!). Will you be growing your own vegetables, fruit or herbs? To be honest, I hate gardening and the most I can manage is a few potted herbs and even they seem to die. Are you green-fingered or are you like me? Do you plan to grow anything in 2017?
Spring is around the corner!.png

Winter has just begun, but you're right, in a few months, spring will be right around the corner! Hah!! :wink:

I don't have to wait for Spring and no I do not have a green finger but I look forward to getting a lot of goodies from my garden. I have a helper who comes around when he is broke I assume but he is a miracle worker in my garden. I recently had cassava and some huge pumpkins from my garden even though it has lots of wild bush.

I'm on metered water here but the bills are really low so I don't consider it. I guess there might be things that would grow without too much water
???!!!??? Not long ago huge areas on Britain were flooded. The damp rainy winter will probably turn into a damp rainy spring followed by a damp rainy summer - have you considered a rice paddy ?

???!!!??? Not long ago huge areas on Britain were flooded. The damp rainy winter will probably turn into a damp rainy spring followed by a damp rainy summer - have you considered a rice paddy ?
:laugh: I was answering @Cinisajoy who has a drought problem. Moss grows extremely well all over my garden, especially in the lawn. And my patio is currently a curious shade of green. I have an immensly long garden layed mostly to what is laughingly called 'lawn'. When we first viewed the house I thought 'what a nice green lawn'. Its not until uou walk on it that you realise its 60% moss!

In Scandinavia, moss is quite a trendy ingredient... but I'm not sure its the sort of moss I'm growing!

If any of us were living in Australia, then we'd be warm there, because they just entered summer! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom