Who uses Distilled Water?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:59 PM
Who uses distilled water for things like ice, cooking or for drinking? I use it to make ice, & now that I have a new Keurig coffee maker, I'll use it make coffee, hot chocolate & maybe for drinking as well. If you have it, what do you use it for? :whistling:

A friend of mine had just bought THIS from Amazon. Since some stores in his neighborhood are out of distilled water, he became fed up trying to find some & bought THIS machine to do it at home. I went over to Whole Foods for some & found the shelf where it's on display empty. So I asked an employee if there was more. He went downstairs to look. When he came back, he had 3 jugs of it. I bought them all!! Told me that someone would be bringing th rest of it up for display on the shelf where it goes. I thanked him for doing that!! :whistling:
Water Distiller..jpg

Last edited:
I don’t use distilled water for any beverage. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that distilled water leads to flat-tasting tea, etc.

<wanders off to check internet>

This is from The Spruce Eats:

If you have bad tap water, you may want to consider using bottled water to brew tea. Mineral water is too hard (mineral-rich) and may leave your tea tasting metallic or harsh. Distilled water is too soft (low in minerals) and will brew into flat-tasting tea.

Now…have I brewed two cups of tea side-by-side and tested that out? No, but I generally trust that website.

We had our builder install a reverse osmosis system that is used for drinking water, the keurig, cooking and there’s a line that was run to the freezer for ice.

My last house had a ridiculously expensive water purification system, that included a reverse osmosis tap in the kitchen. At my current house, I have a charcoal filter on my fridge for ice and water dispensing on the door. That's good enough for me.

CD

My last house had a ridiculously expensive water purification system, that included a reverse osmosis tap in the kitchen. At my current house, I have a charcoal filter on my fridge for ice and water dispensing on the door. That's good enough for me.

CD

Caseydog, I know what you mean!! Here's mine in orange. Hah!! :whistling:
Brita water pitcher..jpg

Only in the radiator of my vehicles.

But my rain water is that pure we don't even filter it before drinking it, so I'm sure I probably qualify almost automatically for using distilled water for everything, from the dishwasher (if I actually use it) to flashing the toilet, to showering, cooking and feeding it to my chooks and plants/ herbs/ veg plot and so on.. 😆

I would imagine that this whole-house water distiller would be ridiculously expensive!!!! :eek:
whole-house water distiloler..jpg

In preparation for setting up the Keurig, I went to empty the electric water kettle & found out that it was beginning to grow mold inside!! I put some bleach in the water, washed it & rinsed it out really good. What in the world had caused that?!!!! I thought that just plain water doesn't spoil!! What gives?!!! Guess that I'll have to use distilled water in that also, next time?!! :eek:
Electric LKettle..jpg

In preparation for setting up the Keurig, I went to empty the electric water kettle & found out that it was beginning to grow mold inside!! I put some bleach in the water, washed it & rinsed it out really good. What in the world had caused that?!!!! I thought that just plain water doesn't spoil!! What gives?!!! Guess that I'll have to use distilled water in that also, next time?!! :eek: View attachment 98091

Distilled water can grow mildew, too. You need to completely drain the kettle and leave the kettle open so air can circulate within.

CD

Back
Top Bottom