Who's on board for a good "stiff drink"?

Local time
1:17 AM
I am not one for much alchohol but would have the occasional glass of wine or coke and rum in that order (much more coke than rum) to be socialable.

Recently I was on board our local Jolly Roger for a sort of fete on the water. In my country cruising has become a big thing and can pull in a good dollar if the cruise attracts a large crowd. Anyway I was called in to help out in the bar to save what might have been a disaster. At the last hour, I agreed.

In some ways I was glad, because my bar experienced provided me with a crash course in strong drinks. People on board where calling for drinks right, left and centre I had little or no knowledge about. I bluffed my way through and helped save the night.

Do you know your drinks and what's your alcoholic beverage of choice?

Guinness. If not available its Murphys. Neither of those I try for Harp.

Holy Water at home.

I don't drink alcohol. Its been years since I had a drink. I don't have much tolerance for alcohol so stay away from it. But when I did drink, my choice was bacardi and coke.

I'm pretty knowledgeable on drink but no connoisseur. I can make a good cocktail and have a few cocktail books. I can drink most people under the table... in many ways that's a bad thing as I don't have a built in STOP mechanism! I'll drink most things (except very sweet drinks). Wine or real ale for choice.

Do you know your drinks...

'Drinks' covers a huge vast area of knowledge - it is impossible to know everything.

I know a vast amount about wine - it is such a fascinating subject. What other other base product i.e. the humble grape, can be converted naturally into such a vast array of different flavours? From steely dry to intensely sweet (without tasting sugary) and everything in between, It was this that made me delve into the topic in more detail and I was hooked. It is now my job!

I know a fair amount about spirits and beer. But am useless when it comes to cocktails.

...what's your alcoholic beverage of choice?

Without doubt, wine! Occasionally beer. Spirits rarely. Cocktails almost never. Generally, I do not enjoy drinking something when I don't know the ingredients! Although I did have a brilliant rum based cocktail last summer - the Dark & Stormy - delicious but dangerous!

Cask beer, please. I'm also amenable to a decent bottle of wine, as long as it's nothing sweet or fizzy. Fizzy drinks, in any form, are anathema to me.

For a spirit, an aged cognac or dark rum - but no mixers. Adulterated drinks - yick!

Drinks' covers a huge vast area of knowledge - it is impossible to know everything.
Shadow, I meant knowing your way around the bar and a basic knowledge of drinks etc. E.g someone asking for a Bloody Mary and not expecting to see blood on a girl name Mary kinda thing.(not that extreme). Thankfully it wasn't a case where I had to mix anything. They were calling for the entire bottle of Ciroc and Red Label and the works. Once or twice I had to have them repeat the names giving me time to scan the bottles and a few times I asked for some help. I did good considering my ignorance.

I'm pretty knowledgeable on drink but no connoisseur. I can make a good cocktail and have a few cocktail books. I can drink most people under the table... in many ways that's a bad thing as I don't have a built in STOP mechanism! I'll drink most things (except very sweet drinks). Wine or real ale for choice.
I knew you'd be cruising on this boat. This time beers were push aside. I don't know if the Monsters took their place and truth be told those young people were behaving like monsters. Quite an experience in more ways than one.

I am not one for much alchohol but would have the occasional glass of wine or coke and rum in that order (much more coke than rum) to be socialable.

Recently I was on board our local Jolly Roger for a sort of fete on the water. In my country cruising has become a big thing and can pull in a good dollar if the cruise attracts a large crowd. Anyway I was called in to help out in the bar to save what might have been a disaster. At the last hour, I agreed.

In some ways I was glad, because my bar experienced provided me with a crash course in strong drinks. People on board where calling for drinks right, left and centre I had little or no knowledge about. I bluffed my way through and helped save the night.

One of the drinks I have enjoyed recently is a Moscow mule. It is easy to make as well. I don't remember all of the ingredients, but a chief one is ginger beer, which is a bit expensive.it is usually sold in liquor stores or grocery stores but is non alchoholic.I had a Moscow Mule in a restaurant once, and it was so good I simply had to duplicate it at home. Try a Moscow Mule if you like delicious strong drinks that are bit unusual in taste.

I'm a social drinker ,and I do have a stop mechanism ,
The drinks market is changing all the time ,from new brewery's to new distilarys ,we have 3 gin distilarys I know of ,in the area ,some drinks are seasonal,and some come popular through TV programmes as milk vodka did with hwf,I enjoy drinks as part of traveling ,but always drew the line at quaffing pouchine style drinks

I do know the meaning of neat and on the rocks. I can make a screw driver, rum and coke and a black russian that is about it for me.

I do know the meaning of neat and on the rocks. I can make a screw driver, rum and coke and a black russian that is about it for me.

I will now go Google them all. Neat? I stopped and Googled it. I have heard of all the others but never mixed any( coke and rum for myself) and thank God this event did not require mixing. It might have been the mix of death coming from me and the way the people were coming I could not Google anything.

I am not really a drinker and I normally order juice or anything that is not alcoholic. But in my younger years when I would have a night out with my best friends in a bar, I would always order margarita. That small salt-laced, wide-rimmed glass that never fails to amuse me. And although I could only drink 1 order, I still enjoyed the night because as per the instructions of those in the know, you have to sip margarita slowly and not too often. So that 1 glass would last for 1 hour at least.

I've known of some cases with many pretending they can hold their drinks and ditching it when others looked away or mixing it with water. Some guys don't like others to know they can hold their liquor or just are not interested. I used to make it no secret that I am happy to have a COKE and rum which means a lot of coke and very little rum if strong drink at all.

Back
Top Bottom