Wild Edibles

BushSnacked

Local time
1:36 PM
Good day Foodies!

I am currently conducting research to see what kind of interest is out there for wild edible foods. I have been foraging food for quite some time, mainly for my own table. I am tossing the idea around of making my passion into a small business.

Simple question:
Would anyone here be interested in a subscription box service that would include dried wild edibles?

The subscription would include, various wild; mushrooms, berries and plants. All would be foraged by myself and my partner. The idea would be to capture in raw footage, where the foods are coming from, have they are preserved and how they get to your kitchen. As I would discover each edible, I would have video of me collecting each delicacy, and recording how I carry them through the forest, back to my dehydrator and how it was packaged. Bascially, as a customer receiving the monthly box, I will have all recorded data and footage that you are able to see where it came from.
The box would also include, a recipe book. Picture book of the foraging experience for your products, and a kitchen utensil to aide in the preparation of the product.

I have approximately 45 different wild edibles I forage. Each monthly box would include 3 different kinds.

Think: morels, dandelion greens, spruce tips, huckleberries, cranberries, cauliflower mushrooms, lobster mushrooms, chicken of the woods mushroom, yellow-white-blue chantys, matsutake mushrooms, nettle greens, bunchberries, oyster mushrooms, labrador tea, wild lettuce etc etc etc ... and more more more, Arriving to your doorstep, readily to be used into unique and delicious dishes.

Last edited:
Sounds like a unique idea.
Now I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but check your local, providence and federal laws before embarking on this adventure.
I don't know about Canada but I know in the US food is very regulated.

Now you want to send wild mushrooms, what are your qualifications so your subscribers know you know the difference between the mushrooms.

Now I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but check your local, providence and federal laws before embarking on this adventure.
I don't know about Canada but I know in the US food is very regulated.
Same here in the UK [plus we have the problem that all land is in reality owned by someone] I love the idea BUT check the legal standpoint very carefully - sorry to sound like a wet blanket but it has to be done. Plus get some sort of plan in place for the professional complainer /career compensation claimant - they are out there.

There are foragers here in the UK who supply restaurants. Also - in Norway, foraging has become very trendy! But, as far as I know there are no foragers offering a home delivery service. So it sounds like a good idea. If such a service existed here I would probably use it.

But as has been said, Health & Safety compliance needs to be checked out very thoroughly.

OK - here is a company which does home delivery UK: http://forager.org.uk

I've signed up! However - looking at it again, they don't have a lot of produce and the delivery is £6.95, which is quite steep unless you are buying a lot.

A quick search reveals the same story in Canada - you probably know about this one -http://wildfoods.ca mainly supplying to restaurants, I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom