Recipe Wild mushroom Risotto

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:17 PM
@MypinchofItaly

Your Red Wine Risotto Recipe inspired me to share this with you.

Please forgive me - it was a "wing it" recipe so my portions and measures are not exact.

We have a camp on the Toledo Bend Reservoir - a man made reservoir that borders west Louisiana and east Teas.

We spent the 4th of July weekend there with my Step Son, Daughter In Law, 2 teenaged grandchildren and SS's cousin. Saturday Cousin "fried" a turkey in a Big Easy oil less fryer. I reserved the carcass with the meat clinging to the bones.

Sunday I put the carcass in a large pot with onions, celery, carrots, fresh thyme and sage. I added a lot of water and 2 TBSPS. Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base for extra flavor. I suppose it is a broth/stock hybrid since I used both the bones and the meat. I simmered the mess until the meat fell off of the bones and removed the carcass. Simmered it more until it reduced to 1/3 of the original volume. Strained out the veggies and reserved the stock.

Since we were a large group I used 2 1/2 cups of Arborio Rice. I had a 1 ounce package of dried Morell mushrooms and some fresh Cremini mushrooms. I rinsed the sand off of 1/4 to 1/3 oz. of the Morells and reconstituted them in some of the stock. Drain through a fine mesh sieve lined with a paper coffee filter. Reserve the liquid. Chopped the mushrooms and thinly sliced some Cremini mushrooms. They were on the small side so I think I used 4 or 5.

The soaking liquid was added back to the stock and kept warm on a low heat.

In 2 tbsp. EVOO and 4 tbsp. butter (really like butter) I sautéed a chopped medium onion and 1 clove garlic smashed and minced. Added the rice, stirring constantly until the grains were translucent with a white dot in the middle. Added 1 cup dry white wine. Stirred until the wine was absorbed. I began adding the stock a cup at a time, stirring frequently until each cup was fully absorbed. About 2/3 of the way through the process I added both the reconstituted and the fresh mushrooms. More stock.

I like a very soft, creamy Risotto.

I did not season until the end. The turkey was well seasoned and the chicken base is a little on the salty side so I did not need to add much.

Since I wanted the mushrooms to be the star I did not add Parmesan.

My Hubby has had Risotto before but never this version. The rest of the crew had never heard of Risotto. They ate every bit of what I thought was a very large pot of Risotto.

I was an extremely :happy: :cook:!

We are going back to the camp this weekend for the Labor Day holiday. I have received calls from SS, DIL and the Grands - "Mimi please make some of that weird rice for us."

The best compliment a cook can get.

Hope you enjoy.

BTW - Dried Morells are sometimes difficult to find. Dried Porcini mushrooms would be a good substitute. I use dried mushrooms because even when available fresh wild mushrooms are expensive and do not keep well. The dried mushrooms have an intense flavor and keep for a long time in my pantry.

it was a "wing it" recipe so my portions and measures are not exact.
Sometimes those are the best kind of recipes! I like your process here. I find myself making a stock whenever I have any sort of bones (within reason...I'm not looking in my backyard for the remains of what my dog left of a squirrel). Homemade stocks always bring a huge amount of flavor, far beyond any prepackaged stocks. In this case, I see the bullion as the salt and seasoning you'd normally add to a homemade stock anyway (I've used the same brand of lobster base for lobster bisque in the past). If you try to make this recipe again with store-bought stock, you'll probably notice the flavor isn't as deep.

Now, this has me thinking about making a risotto too. Thanks for sharing!

Hello @ElizabethB!
First of all I am pleased to know that your wild mushrooms risotto has been very successful, molto brava! :thumbsup: And thank you for having shared it with me, it makes me very happy.
I'm a big fan of risotto, much more than pasta and as soon as I have the chance and time, I prepare it often.
At the end of cooking, when I start to whisk rice, I use cold, almost frozen, butter ( can also keep it in a freezer) .. this makes rice more creamy. And of course it is turned off flame. Grated parmesan is not always necessary, but I can't resist! :)
Today I have cooked a risotto with sausage .. good but the rice was not suitable .. a tragedy had ended both Arborio and Carnaroli!
I hope to see some pics of your next mushrooms risotto, it intrigues me a lot!

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

@The Late Night Gourmet

I can get kind of wonky when I am in the kitchen. I often "wing it" then can not remember exactly what I did. :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with the Better Than Bullion Base products? They have become a staple in my pantry.

When I make a home made broth/stock I add BTBB for an extra punch of flavor.

@MypinchofItaly

Thank you so much for your positive comments. I am not much on posting pics. My phone is stupid not smart. I am looking to upgrade to a smart phone next month. The I Phone 8 will be introduced so the price on the sixes and sevens will go way down.

George drove to his corporate office today - 45 to 50 minute drive. He came home in pain. Don't know if we will be able to make our trip to the fishing camp - 3 hours. BOOO!

@MypinchofItaly

Please forgive me - it was a "wing it" recipe so my portions and measures are not exact.

We have a camp on the Toledo Bend Reservoir - a man made reservoir that borders west Louisiana and east Teas.

We spent the 4th of July weekend there with my Step Son, Daughter In Law, 2 teenaged grandchildren and SS's cousin. Saturday Cousin "fried" a turkey in a Big Easy oil less fryer. I reserved the carcass with the meat clinging to the bones.

Sunday I put the carcass in a large pot with onions, celery, carrots, fresh thyme and sage. I added a lot of water and 2 TBSPS. Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base for extra flavor. I suppose it is a broth/stock hybrid since I used both the bones and the meat. I simmered the mess until the meat fell off of the bones and removed the carcass. Simmered it more until it reduced to 1/3 of the original volume. Strained out the veggies and reserved the stock.

Since we were a large group I used 2 1/2 cups of Arborio Rice. I had a 1 ounce package of dried Morell mushrooms and some fresh Cremini mushrooms. I rinsed the sand off of 1/4 to 1/3 oz. of the Morells and reconstituted them in some of the stock. Drain through a fine mesh sieve lined with a paper coffee filter. Reserve the liquid. Chopped the mushrooms and thinly sliced some Cremini mushrooms. They were on the small side so I think I used 4 or 5.

In 2 tbsp. EVOO and 4 tbsp. butter (really like butter) I sautéed a chopped medium onion and 1 clove garlic smashed and minced. Added the rice, stirring constantly until the grains were translucent with a white dot in the middle. Added 1 cup dry white wine. Stirred until the wine was absorbed. I began adding the stock a cup at a time, stirring frequently until each cup was fully absorbed. About 2/3 of the way through the process I added both the reconstituted and the fresh mushrooms. More stock.

I did not season until the end. The turkey was well seasoned and the chicken base is a little on the salty side so I did not need to add much.

@ElizabethB

Your "weird" rice sounds very lovely !!

Have a wonderful weekend ..

My Hubby has had Risotto before but never this version. The rest of the crew had never heard of Risotto. They ate every bit of what I thought was a very large pot of Risotto.

We are going back to the camp this weekend for the Labor Day holiday. I have received calls from SS, DIL and the Grands - "Mimi please make some of that weird rice for us."

Hope you enjoy.

BTW - Dried Morells are sometimes difficult to find. Dried Porcini mushrooms would be a good substitute. I use dried mushrooms because even when available fresh wild mushrooms are expensive and do not keep well. The dried mushrooms have an intense flavor and keep for a long time in my pantry.
@MypinchofItaly

Hope you enjoy.

I really should make risotto more often as we both love it. I brought some dried mushrooms back from a French holiday last year so this could be a good way to use them.

Back
Top Bottom