Will Smith Slapping Chris Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:45 PM
A few weeks ago on the Academy Awards Show, Will Smith walked up on the stage & had slapped Chris Rock in the face after Rock made jokes about his wife. Then he went back to sit next to his wife jada Pinket Smith. After he sat down, he yelled out to Rock twice to keep his wife's name out of his f-ing mouth!!

The Academy has since banned him from appearing on the show for 10 years. What do you think? Was he justified or not in slapping Chris Rock? Or should he have waited & talked to Chris Rock before hitting him at all?

Also, I've read that several upcomming movies that had him booked to star in have removed him & have replaced him with other stars to fill the void. Should this have been done or not? You be the judge. The jury is out on this one! :ninja:

Last edited:
Chris Rock made a joke at the expense of a woman's health condition and that is a taboo for all comedians, never punch down, so Smith's anger was justified. Slapping Rock wasn't. They are both morons imho.

I suppose that 2 wrongs don't make it right!! Smith should've calmed down first, then talk to him later. :ninja:

Yeah, I don’t think he should have slapped him. I think that slap was more about Wil Smith’s “manhood” being insulted versus sticking up for his wife - “How dare someone make fun of something of mine!”

Now, if she had whispered in his ear, “Hon, go slap that idiot for me, you’re closer to the aisle than I am,” maybe I’d feel differently. :laugh:

If you can't handle getting roasted, you shouldn't be going to a show headlined by comedians. Chris Rock's job was to make corny jokes about the people in the audience, and you can't get much cornier than a GI Jane joke. Will Smith's job was to sit there and not yell profanities or slap people. Only one person failed to do their job.

Shortly after this incident, Will Smith resigned from the Academy of Motion Pictures & Sciences, so I don't really see the Academy's point in the 10 year ban on him to attend any Awards Ceremonies.
Maybe not allowing Will Smith to even be nominated for any future awards would be more effective.
And I agree with TVC, I can't stand either one of them, in fact I can't think of any "Actors" that aren't just normal humans in real life, it's all a drama for them, "look at me, look at me", IMHO anyways.

If you can't handle getting roasted, you shouldn't be going to a show headlined by comedians. Chris Rock's job was to make corny jokes about the people in the audience, and you can't get much cornier than a GI Jane joke. Will Smith's job was to sit there and not yell profanities or slap people. Only one person failed to do their job.
The point is, you can roast people for what they do and what they say, but you do not try to get laughs at the expense of someones health condition. This is a rule followed by all comedians because it is mean, and can quickly lead to an audience turning against you. Punching down is wrong in any circumstance.

Chris Rock´s "joke" was not in the least bit funny; in fact, it was rude, insulting and demeaning. the insult was worstened by the fact that it was at the Oscars, where millions of people were watching .
No , Will Smith shouldn´t have slapped him.
He should have punched him in the mouth.

Y'all need to watch the video again. Smith initially laughed at the joke, but then took one look at his wife's grimace and was like "uhoh imma have to do something about this or Jada will slap ME" :roflmao: ONLY THEN did he proceed to go up on stage and exhibit toxic masculinity at its finest: "In defense of his woman's honor".

On a more serious note, I had to really sit down and re-assess whether I was OK with the actions taken. I'd have probably done the same damn thing, because I'm an emotional idiot and I love my wife. However, it shames me to admit that.

I can only hope that, if I were truly in a similar situation, I would wait until after the event and cameras were off so that I had time to cool down and either be the bigger man and calmly denounce the joke... or make up my mind where I would bury the body :speechless:

I agree with FowlersFreeTime in the fact that as I sit here and think more about the whole event, Will and Jada could have easily turned the tables on the entire mess and drawn even more attention to his latest movie. They could have made some statements publicly in regards to Chris's insensitivity to Jada's condition. Ya know how the media likes to hound celebrities , especially after something like that, they had the perfect platform with how many folks were watching the Oscars.
Cool heads did not prevail that night.

Chris Rock made a joke at the expense of a woman's health condition and that is a taboo for all comedians, never punch down, so Smith's anger was justified. Slapping Rock wasn't. They are both morons imho.

Well, there is an assumption that Chris Rock knew about the medical condition. A lot of celebrities after the slap said they didn't know.

But, the big tell-tale in this thing is that Will Smith initially laughed at the joke, on camera, and then saw his wife roller her eyes and suddenly decided the joke wasn't funny. Every award show emcee makes jokes about the celebrities.

But. like GG said, a gentleman handles such things in private, through a conversation, not a slap. Will Smith could have talked to Chris Rock after the show, or on the phone the next day, and said, "Hey, you owe my wife an apology." I'm pretty sure Chris Rock would have issued a public apology right away.

Now, should Will Smith be "canceled?" No. The best thing would be for Smith, his wife and Rock to meet up, talk, shake hands and do some public "thing" to tell the world, "We are over it, so you can be over it, too."

Bill Maher pretty much sums it up in this video...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-c2eUltH58

CD

Shortly after this incident, Will Smith resigned from the Academy of Motion Pictures & Sciences, so I don't really see the Academy's point in the 10 year ban on him to attend any Awards Ceremonies.
Maybe not allowing Will Smith to even be nominated for any future awards would be more effective.
And I agree with TVC, I can't stand either one of them, in fact I can't think of any "Actors" that aren't just normal humans in real life, it's all a drama for them, "look at me, look at me", IMHO anyways.

About 15 years ago, a co-worker and I were walking into a hotel with all of our baggage, and the door opened and a black gentleman who was leaving the hotel held the door open for us. We said "Thank you." Then, we looked at each other... "That was Will Smith."

The front desk clerk confirmed it, and said his mother always stays at that hotel.

No drama. Just very normal human behavior. Hold the door for people with arms full of baggage.

I try hard not to judge people by the worst thing they have ever done. I know I don't want to be judged that way.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom