Wooden Cutting Board or other?

AMAS24

Veteran
Local time
8:50 PM
Hello everyone! My boyfriend loves to cook and I'm trying out a few, simple recipes. I wanted to know if anyone here has a preference for a wooden cutting board, or do you use a plastic one? I dislike the wooden cutting board because I feel like it's never properly clean and I'm worried about it storing bacteria. Any thoughts?

The wooden cutting board adds a nice touch to the kitchen but you are right. I think they never get cleaned thoroughly and attract bacteria as the material I think is conducive for them to grow. I would prefer something that could be easily cleaned

Depends more on whether you clean either properly after use more than anything else. Plastic if not cleaned correctly, can be worse, because its assumed to be safe.

I use both. A wooden one for bread and cakes and similar stuff, and plastic ones for veggies, and meat etc.

I prefer the plastic one at work, less food debris ends up stuck on it because it doesn't seem to stick. We do use wooden one for cutting the bread, but I'm no longer in charge of that, so I don't worry about the wooden ones at work anymore. It really depends on what you want to cut and how you plan on cutting it.

We both had plastic and wooden cutting board in our kitchen and had their own separate purpose or use for our cooking and baking. And yes we also had color coding for the plastic ones and after every use we clean it at once.

At home I use high risk boards in plastic red for raw meat and blue for raw fish
Any thing else I use a large beach wood block
But at work I have to use a fully colour coded system
White ,yellow,green,brown,red and blue

We use wooden ones here, I just find them better to cut things on. I do make a point of cleaning them thoroughly though, as some others have said I do understand the concern about that feeling that you have to take more care with a wooden chopping board than you do with plastic ones.

Just a single wooden one.

Remember that wood does have antibacterial properties of its own and if treated correctly in a home environment, is not actually as dangerous as you would think it could be. Sadly most people fail to remember to oil their wooden chopping boards and season then when they first get them - same as with wooden spoons. Personally I prefer wood all round and there is nothing stopping me giving it a good scrub with bleach every now and again, drying it thoroughly and re-oiling it.

This is a great read, especially the reply from Eileen Skiffington . https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/09/cutting-boards-food-safety/

I use plastic cutting board to chopped vegetables because it is easy to clean and no worry about bacteria.

Just a single wooden one.

Remember that wood does have antibacterial properties of its own and if treated correctly in a home environment, is not actually as dangerous as you would think it could be. Sadly most people fail to remember to oil their wooden chopping boards and season then when they first get them - same as with wooden spoons. Personally I prefer wood all round and there is nothing stopping me giving it a good scrub with bleach every now and again, drying it thoroughly and re-oiling it.

This is a great read, especially the reply from Eileen Skiffington . https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/09/cutting-boards-food-safety/

It never occurred to me to treat wooden spoons! I will have to try that. I'm assuming it will make them less porous.

We have 2 chopping boards - wooden and plastic. The traditional wooden is good for cutting vegetables particularly bell pepper, celery or even cabbage. My husband says vegetables have a reaction to the plastic. I don't know if that's true but it's better safe than sorry. With meat like beef and pork, we use the plastic chopping board because the wooden board chips off some bits that goes with the meant. Especially when cutting raw beef with a chopping knife, I notice some bits of wood when I would wash the beef cubes.

Back
Top Bottom