Wooden or plastic spoons?

Ashleeey

Veteran
Local time
10:57 AM
I have wooden and plastic which one is better too cook with or is there any differences. I like too cook so im always buying new Utensils so im open for alot of new things. As well let me know some of you're favorite utensils as well.

I only use wooden spoons. I don't know if there's really a difference, I just prefer the way they feel and I like feeling like I'm being as natural as possible.

I tend to stick with the wooden spoons as well. Cheap plastic spoons melt too easily, even in the dishwasher if they get knocked around and land on the heating element during drying. I've spent a lot more for high quality silicone spoons made with Pyrex, and while they worked good for the most part - all of them ended up cracking. It seems like they become somewhat brittle over time.

Granted wooden spoons will start to rot, and perhaps aren't as sanitary - but I just discard them and get new ones whenever they start to go bad, since they are so inexpensive - especially if you get them at a dollar store. I regularly toss them in the dishwasher, even though I know you're not supposed to. Once they go through the heat cycle and come out of washer, they usually dry off pretty fast from the high heat.

Wooden spoons here as well, but we just let them dry out naturally (we don't have a dishwasher). The oldest ones are my favourite simply because they have a better shape and are less chunky than my 'new' ones. There are 2 that I will reach for time and time again and totally ignore the others! Such is life.

I agree. Wooden spoons are my go-to cooking utensil. They are easy to use, natural and safe to use with all dishes. I love cooking with wooden spoons. I sill use my plastic spoons, but not as frequently.

I am so used to plastic spoons because that's what my family uses for the most part, but I do appreciate some high quality bamboo spoons. They're eco-friendly and they last a long time. I just like using plastic spoons when cooking eggs because they are always so sticky!

Although I possess both plastic and wooden spoons, I prefer the latter. They are sturdier. Also, they are easier for me to handle. I am not sure as to why that is.

I use wooden spoons for all my cooking needs, and the reasons are as follows:

• Wooden spoons don't melt if I accidentally leave them on the hob, unlike plastic spoons. Sure, a wooden spoon will char but at least it is still usable.
  • Wooden spoons are heavier than plastic spoons and I like the feel of them
  • Wooden spoons don't bend and flex like plastic spoons do, which makes mixing a little easier
  • Since wooden spoons are more durable than plastic spoons I can really get in there and apply some pressure when mixing up ingredients without fear of breaking the spoon

Many people argue that wooden spoons aren't as hygienic as plastic spoons because bacteria can get in the grain when the wood cracks, which it will do at some point. As long as you thoroughly clean the spoon with an antibacterial liquid you will be fine, so don't let the hygiene argument put you off using wooden spoons or any wooden utensil for that matter.

The only thing I don't like about wooden spoons and utensils is they take longer to dry than plastic spoons. When using plastic a quick wipe with a tea towel and it is ready to go back in to the drawer. Wooden spoons and utensils need air drying and can't be put away until they are properly dry otherwise they have a tendency to go moldy.

We used wooden spoons instead of plastic spoons at home. Aside that it is durable and can be used for a long period of time it is very comfortable to use not unlike the plastic ones which sometimes easily breaks away and it easily melts away when it is heated on a high temperature.

I use plastic spoons out of habit. They are a pain to use because they melt. I used to use wood spoons years ago, but stopped because I was worried that they weren't getting clean. After reading Chris' post, I'm going to give wooden spoons another try.

I use plastic spoons out of habit. They are a pain to use because they melt. I used to use wood spoons years ago, but stopped because I was worried that they weren't getting clean. After reading Chris' post, I'm going to give wooden spoons another try.
I burn my wooden spoons that often I can't see that there is a issue - burning after all is a form of sterilisation, but if you dry the spoons out thoroughly, there should not be a problem. I certainly have never run into any issues but a good supply of them is needed which allows you to get them completely dry in between each use.

My preference has been for plastic (sturdy plastic, that doesn't melt easily) spoons over wooden spoons as wooden spoons take longer to dry and often loose their smooth finish and get little splinter like pieces coming off. Although, as so many of you rave about them, perhaps I should give wooden spoons another go. :wink:

I prefer using wooden spoons much more. I'm very wary of using plastic materials in the cooking process, even if I know they should be safe since they have been approved. It might be an irrational fear, but I don't see much reason in risking it when there's a good alternative present.

We also have both the plastic and wooden spoons used for cooking. I usually use the wooden spoon when it is hot food like for sauteing. While I would use the plastic spoons for preparing salads and for baking.

Back
Top Bottom