Wooden Spoon vs. Hand Mixer

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
5:50 PM
Sometimes when I am making a cake, mixing up cookie dough, muffin mixes ect. I get lazy. Instead of getting my hand mixer out, I just use a wooden spoon. I know it is a lot more work to make sure everything gets mixed together, but I find myself doing this more often. I get lazy and leave the hand mixer on the shelf.
Do you ever skip the hand mixer and just use a wooden spoon? Do you think it makes a big difference?
I think the hand mixer probably mixes the ingredients a little better, but I still think a wooden spoon does a fairly good job. It's all in the wrists, right? :)
What do you think?

I don't actually have a hand mixer. my choice is a wooden spoon or the full Kenwood chef mixer... so I frequently mix by hand using a wooden spoon which was how I was taught at school!
As for a difference - it depends on what I am making, but unless it is something that needs the butter/marg + sugar mix to me very light and fluffy (such as a Victoria sponge cake mix) I don't see it makes that much difference.

Egg whites to meringue on the other hand is always the kenwood chef mixer...

I don't actually have a hand mixer. my choice is a wooden spoon or the full Kenwood chef mixer... so I frequently mix by hand using a wooden spoon which was how I was taught at school!
As for a difference - it depends on what I am making, but unless it is something that needs the butter/marg + sugar mix to me very light and fluffy (such as a Victoria sponge cake mix) I don't see it makes that much difference.

Egg whites to meringue on the other hand is always the kenwood chef mixer...

^ ^ This :thumbsup:

(although I usually use the Kenwood for everything :laugh:

Southern comic Jerry Clower says that wooden spoons are part of the secret to that Southern delicacy, the beaten biscuit. Of course, using a soft flour such as
White Lilly or Martha White also helps make them a delicacy. Even for raised Southern biscuits it helps. I think I know what I need to bake next. Drop biscuits and sausage gravy. If you don't eat meat, pepper gravy will work just fine.

I'm sure I got this from my mom's habit, but when I'm doing sweet recipes I will always use a wooden spoon! I love wooden spoons, they don't get hot and last for such a long time! They last longer than the silicon spoons. I rarely use hand mixers.

I used both a wooden spoon and a hand mixer depending what type of sweet desserts, breads and pastries recipes I will make. Both had its own use and importance in the kitchen especially when when it comes to baking recipes.

Back
Top Bottom