Wooden Spoons

I've heard it too but to be honest I don't really see any difference. I wash them by hand if I have time but also throw them in the dishwasher quite often and seems to work just fine either way.

Everything I own that I use to cook or prep with that is wood I treat with care. I don't own a dishwasher but I would never leave them in the sink. My knives, cast iron, & wood always are promptly cleaned in a specific way for each. Now maybe that's an OCD move but it's caused me to never have to replace any of those products.

My dad was a professional chef for over 20 years and he always used to tell me this too. As well as not to put wooden cutting boards in the dishwasher. He said that the water deteriorates the wood and makes it split (which has personally happen to me) but he also said the wood will lose its finish which causes food to get into/between the wood and create bacteria and once that bacteria sets in, there is no way of getting it out.

It also dulls the luster and shine of the varnish that IS on it.

Case in point;
Food Mill..jpg

002.jpg

These two items will have to be quickly washed after they are used, or their wooden handles will deteriorate and become dull and ugly looking!!:stop:

I've heard it too but to be honest I don't really see any difference. I wash them by hand if I have time but also throw them in the dishwasher quite often and seems to work just fine either way.

The harsh detergent and extremely hot water in the dishwasher and give wooden products a truly vicious beating!!
After a while, they begin to look old & weather beaten! :stop:

Back
Top Bottom