Would you fancy eating and drinking as much as you like for 6p ($.07) a minute?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:45 AM
Well you could, if you went to Ziferblat, the pay-as-you-stay café which has branches in both Manchester and Liverpool in the UK. Owner Colin Shenton says that some customers have taken advantage of the laid-back rules, popping in for as few as three minutes to gorge on food before making a quick exit and paying only 18p.

Ziferblat is a Russian word, which means "clock face" (so you learned a new word today!)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pay-you-stay-caf-charges-9112146

What do you think? Would you pop in? I reckon I would!

Last edited:
No, I don't think I would. Eating should be an enjoyable, laid back experience, not something to get done with as quickly as possible. Even at £3.60 an hour, the idea that everyone around you is rushing about and stuffing their faces would simply not appeal to me (even if there was anything I could eat). I just don't like the concept.

We have "all-you-can-eat" restaurants here but without time limits. Typical cost is Bht 100.00 - Bht 120.00 (US$ 3.50) and occasionally freshwater prawns are on the menu. There is one stipulation though, if you leave any items on your plate (and there are waitresses watching you like hawks) there is an additional charge of Bht 5.00 for each piece, e.g. leave 2 pieces of chicken = Bht 10.00. It appears to work quite well most of the time.

Reading up more on it, it is actually only a café, not a restaurant and claims to be an anti-café. You can go and cook your own stuff in the kitchen if you want to, you can volunteer to work in the place, getting 2 hours in there free for every hour you volunteer. It is not a restaurant setup, but more a sofa style driven café with bookcases and separate areas. there are even meeting rooms as well. From the pictures they show on their website, (I only looked at the UK site) http://www.ziferblat.co.uk/ it is not a buffet style place, more of a social meeting place with wifi, tea, coffee, cake and biscuits

this gives an idea
04-gallery.jpg

Reading up more on it, it is actually only a café, not a restaurant and claims to be an anti-café. You can go and cook your own stuff in the kitchen if you want to, you can volunteer to work in the place, getting 2 hours in there free for every hour you volunteer. It is not a restaurant setup, but more a sofa style driven café with bookcases and separate areas. there are even meeting rooms as well. From the pictures they show on their website, (I only looked at the UK site) http://www.ziferblat.co.uk/ it is not a buffet style place, more of a social meeting place with wifi, tea, coffee, cake and biscuits

this gives an idea
View attachment 3644
That's right. Its quite interesting I think. And not really a 'stuff your face' concept at all. People go to play board games or hold meetings and can help themselves to as much coffee and snacks as they like from the kitchen. They are then expected to load the plates into the dishwasher.:happy:

Back
Top Bottom