Yacon

summerdays

Guru
Local time
1:57 AM
My husband each year picks an unusual veg to grow, and this year it's the Yacon... Well he dug it up today and now I haven't got the foggiest how to prepare or cook it!:o_o:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Any suggestions of how to prepare, store and cook it?

@summerdays, this one looks like a hybrid potato or perhaps an alien vegetable of some sort. I can see what looks like the face of a dog in there. We have to call in the big guns for this one. @Berties, @Duck59 , @SatNavSaysStraightOn , @morning glory @classic33, @cupcakechef @Shermie , @welsh dragon , @L_B @Caribbean girl @everybody we need some help over here. This could be the The Future Challenge Ingredient. Doesn't it look like something from the future? Anyway, I selected this recipe I found online for you Summerdays.
https://nicholsgardennursery.wordpress.com/2006/12/13/chicken-vegetable-curry-with-yacon/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yacon-and-green-bean-sala-006.jpg
Yacon and green bean salad
Ingredients
Juice of ½ lemon
1 medium-large yacon
300g green beans, topped (and tailed if you like, but the tails look rather nice)
15g sesame seeds
250g cooked chicken breast, torn into long shreds
Small handful of Vietnamese or regular coriander (Vietnamese coriander has a slightly hotter, more peppery flavour), stalks removed and roughly chopped
Small handful of mint, stalks removed and roughly chopped

For the dressing:
2 tbsp chunky peanut butter
1 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 small red chilli, halved, deseeded, membrane removed and finely diced
Juice of 1 small lime

To serve:
Little gem lettuce leaves (optional)

Method
Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice. Peel the yacon and cut it into batons, about 5mm x 5mm x 50mm, tossing them into the lemony water as you go to stop them from turning brown. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the beans and boil until they just lose some of their crunch, about 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under the cold tap. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
In a small frying pan, warm the sesame seeds over a medium heat until they just begin to turn golden. Tip them onto a plate to stop them cooking any further.

In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing until smooth.

Drain the yacon and combine in a large bowl with the green beans, chicken, sesame seeds, coriander and mint (save some of the herbs and seeds for garnishing the salad). Pour over half of the dressing and toss the salad with your hands until everything is well combined. Serve on a platter, trickled with the rest of the dressing and the remaining seeds and herbs or wrap in little gem leaves and serve as a starter.

Yacon and blue cheese salad
It's not easy to improve upon the famously fabulous combination of walnuts and blue cheese but the addition of yacon, with its succulent sweet crunch, really lightens and freshens this deliciously different lunch.

Ingredients
Small handful of shelled walnuts or pecans
Juice of 1 lemon
1 medium-large yacon
Handful of salad leaves
180g blue cheese, such as Dorset blue vinney, roquefort or gorgonzola

For the dressing:
1 tbsp apple balsamic vinegar
Pinch of flaky sea salt
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.

Spread the walnuts or pecans out onto a baking tray and toast in the oven for 8–10 minutes, shaking halfway through, until lightly coloured – keep an eye on them to ensure they don't burn.

Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice. Peel the yacon, cut into slices and toss into the lemony water to prevent them from discolouring.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar with the salt before adding the olive oil a little at a time, whisking all the while until smooth. In a bowl, lightly dress the salad leaves in a little of the dressing and divide between 4 plates.

Arrange the sliced yacon on top, crumble over the blue cheese, then trickle over the rest of the dressing. Scatter the nuts over the top and serve immediately.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/dec/13/how-grow-and-cook-yacon

YACON GROWING INFORMATION © Frances and Jeff Michaels
BOTANICAL NAME:Smallanthus sonchifolius (formerly Polymnia sonchifolia)
COMMON NAMES: It has a variety of common names including the descriptive sweet-root, Peruvian ground apple, strawberry jicama, Bolivian sunroot, llacon, groundpear, pear of the earth. We prefer to call it yacon as this is the name it is mainly called in its native South America and it avoids confusion withJicama - Climbing Yam Bean Pachyrhizus erosus, another uncommon but very tasty root vegetable.
FAMILY: Asteraceae

PLANT DESCRIPTION
We have been growing Yacon for many years and it is one of our favourite vegetables, a 'winter treat'. Yacon is native to Colombia and Ecuador and is a hardy, attractive herbaceous perennial that yields a large harvest of tubers. The tubers have an appealing crunchy crispness that is a cross between apple and watermelon, with overtones of sugarcane. It is always a bit tricky describing the taste of a new food as we are forced to compare it to familiar foods but generally it gets a very positive response, especially from children. As a member of the sunflower family, yacon can grow to 2 metres in height with small, daisy-like yellow flowers. When growing it is similar in appearance to Jerusalem artichokes but is not invasive in the same way.

YaconTubers02.png
PLANTING DETAILS
Yacon actually produces two types of underground tubers, reddish rhizomes directly at the base of the stem, which can be eaten when young but are mainly used for propagation and the larger brown tubers, which are mainly eaten. When harvesting we separate the reddish rhizomes from the tubers and wash off any soil, taking care not to break the skin. The brown tubers are dried in the sun and then stored. The reddish rhizomes are kept out of the sun and covered with slightly damp sand, sawdust or cocopeat to stop them drying out and put aside for replanting in a dark, dry place. As soon as the rhizomes begin to sprout it is time to plant. Prepare the soil by loosening well with a fork and working in compost. To plant, cover a large rhizome which has several sprouts, with soil to a depth of 3 cm. Mulch well, yacon will grow up through the mulch, just like potatoes. Little weeding is needed as dense shade is created as the yacon grows. Plants are large and vigorous, so space them at least 0.5 metres apart. Yacon grows fast even in poor soils but crops best in rich, friable, well-drained soil. Yacon can be planted all year round in frost-free areas as it is day-length neutral. It appears to be drought tolerant compared to other vegetable crops and so far, pest-free. For cold areas of Australia the rhizomes can be started in styrofoam boxes in a greenhouse or on a warm verandah and planted out when frost is past.

YaconRhizome.png
HARVEST
The plant takes 6 - 7 months to reach maturity. After flowering top growth withers and dies back and the tubers are harvested. They resemble dahlia or sweet potato tubers, on average weigh about 300 g but can weigh up to 2 kg. Once the soil starts to heave at the base of the plant, dig around to 'bandicoot' a few early tubers to extend the harvest season. The tubers continue to sweeten as the plant dies back so the main harvest should only take place once all the top growth is dead, usually by May. Don't leave it too long though, especially in areas that have mild winters, as the plant will start to shoot again as the weather warms up and the days get longer. The plant needs to be dug carefully to avoid damage to the crisp tubers. After separation from the central stem undamaged tubers can be stored in a cool, dark and dry place with good air circulation for some months. The average sugar content of the tubers increases during storage because of starch conversion. They can also be exposed to the sun for up to 2 weeks to accelerate the sweetening process.

EATING
We prefer to eat yacon raw. First remove the outer brown skin and inner white skin by peeling with a knife as the skin has a resinous taste, to reveal the amber coloured sweet crunchy flesh. Like all tubers there are no seeds to remove, so it is quick and easy to prepare. Chop the tuber into chunks and add it to green salads where they impart a great flavour and texture. It can also be used in potato salad and Waldorf salads. When cut into long strips, they make an interesting addition to a plate of raw vegetable crudites for dipping into your favourite guacamole or cream cheese dip. It can also be boiled, steamed or baked with other vegies. In cooking they stay sweet and slightly crisp. If boiled 'in the jacket' the skin separates from the flesh and can be peeled off like a boiled egg. Yacon can also be used in a dessert crumble or pie with apples, pears or choko. The tubers juice well in an electric juicer and can be used to sweeten other juices or used in juice combinations. In the Andes, they are grated and squeezed through a cloth to yield a sweet refreshing drink. The juice can also be boiled down to produce a syrup. In South America the juice is concentrated to form dark brown blocks of sugar called chancaca. The young stem can be used as a cooked vegetable. Nutritionally yacon is low in calories but it is said to be high in potassium.

YaconTubers01.png
Yacon tubers store carbohydrate in the form of inulin, a type of fructose, which is a suitable food for type II diabetics. Type II diabetics are not insulin dependant and so can control their blood sugar levels through diet. Plants with the sugar inulin such as Jerusalem artichokes and yacon can be useful additions to their diet. In addition to providing living enzymes often lacking in a constricted diet there is a deep sense of satisfaction in being able to have a sweet juicy treat. We have had reports from type II diabetics in our area that eating a small piece of yacon has lowered their blood sugar levels, but we are not aware of any research that would confirm this.

With the ease with which yacon juice can be extracted there is a possible future potential as a commercial crop to make sucrose-free foods for diabetics and dieters. Just like sugar cane, the sugars can be concentrated to obtain a high-fructose sweetener. These sugars also have potential in being used to make a bio-alcohol for industry.

ANIMAL FORAGE
Yacon has potential as a forage crop for animals, the leaves have a protein content of 11-17% and when cut the foliage sprouts again from the underground stems. The tubers may be a good cattle feed, for inulin is rapidly metabolised by ruminants. Additionally, the plant may be useful in agroforestry, because it grows well beneath a canopy of trees. It is used as a soil protector because of its ability to maintain itself as a perennial species, especially in dry agro-ecological areas. In this case don't expect a yield of tubers but grow it instead for animal forage. We have numerous plants tucked into the landscape, which are attractive despite receiving no water. For best yields of tubers however, a deep rich well-drained irrigated soil is necessary.

NEW CROP POTENTIAL

As a new crop yacon has potential for small crop growers. We suggest you offer your crop to a local restaurateur, take some prepared pieces and explain how it can be used. Restaurants with a desire to provide fresh ingredients and a willingness to experiment will be at the leading edge of demand for this versatile crop. By selling to the end user you will get a higher value return. Other direct selling methods to consider include selling tubers to a juice bar or health food shop with juicing facilities.

https://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/Information/Yacon.html

See also https://www.cultivariable.com/instructions/how-to-grow-yacon/

Last edited:
Chicken Vegetable Curry With Yacon

Chicken Vegetable Curry with YaconThis Indian style curry includes Yacon. These Andean tubers cook to a tender/crisp translucence and absorb the curry flavors. For a vegetarian dish simply omit the chicken. Serve with rice and a side dish of yogurt and chopped cucumber seasoned with cumin, salt and pepper.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 chopped jalapeno pepper, deseeded
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely
1 medium yacon (about 12 oz.) peeled and diced into large 1 ¼ ‘ pieces
3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced into large cubes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into cubes
1 large (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 medium head cauliflower (about 1 pound) cut into large florets
2 cups frozen petit peas
½ cup chopped cilantro

Method:
In a large lidded skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add coriander, cumin, curry, jalapeno pepper, garlic and stir for thirty seconds. Add onion, yacon, and potatoes, stirring frequently until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken and cauliflower. Bring to a simmer, turn heat to low and cook covered until vegetables are tender about 15 minutes. Stir in peas and cook, uncovered until the peas are tender about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.

https://nicholsgardennursery.wordpress.com/2006/12/13/chicken-vegetable-curry-with-yacon/

:) See what happens when we bring out the big guns? Summerdays you can thank me later after you have worked on that 'giant fella'.

What about storage Classic 33? I would recommend Summer ship some off to some of us especially Morning Glory who should be happy to try out some recipes.

:) See what happens when we bring out the big guns? Summerdays you can thank me later after you have worked on that 'giant fella'.

What about storage Classic 33? I would recommend Summer ship some off to some of us especially Morning Glory who should be happy to try out some recipes.
Storage
Tubers store extremely well in paper or hessian sacks in a cool dry place in the shed or garage, but they need to be kept frost free. They often sweeten over time. Keep a couple of yacón tubers in the fruit bowl where they will ‘warm up’ and sweeten further before use. Stored tubers will form a thicker skin which turns a darker brown colour and which will need peeling as the skin becomes more bitter over time.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-yacon

Last edited:
Wow... Thank you. I think I'm going to start with a curry, as it will be disguised a little for a reluctant teenager and maybe me too:whistling: I tried a small piece raw and couldn't decide on the flavour but reading the above I may need to store it a little to sweeten it up.

Wow... Thank you. I think I'm going to start with a curry, as it will be disguised a little for a reluctant teenager and maybe me too:whistling: I tried a small piece raw and couldn't decide on the flavour but reading the above I may need to store it a little to sweeten it up.
It looks and sounds like you may have dug out up a touch too soon. I think I can see some greenery still on the plant.
I think you are one lucky person. My OH is a reluctant gardener sadly!

I think the majority of the plant had died back, I was fixing my gears when he went up for a look, and when I took the bike out for a quick test I was surprised how long it was taking until he reappeared with them and he was really muddy!

Wow that is one of the most interesting vegetables that I have ever laid eyes on. It looks huge and almost alien like. I enjoy how there are all these interesting and cool recipes for something so bizarre, Now that I am intrigued I am going have to google this further. I think it is very cool that your husband chooses a new and unique vegetable every year to try. That is wonderful!

I thought it was similar to a potato I was thinking that I can make a nice crispy bowl of fries until I read the comments above. Surprisingly it can be eaten raw, I guess it is not as starchy as I thought it would be. I think I would love to prepare a vinegar base sauce with lots of black pepper and a bit of salt then dip the fresh yacon wedges

We do bake sweet potatoes but no one will eat artichokes after one really bad recipe....

Last year's new veg crop was New Zealand yams which we liked so we are growing them again, but you don't harvest those until you have had a few frosts and we've only had one really here.

Back
Top Bottom