For the minted mashed peas
350 g frozen peas
50 g butter
1 shallots, chopped
1 bunches mint, chopped
1 pinches black pepper
1 splashes malt vinegar

METHOD

1. To make the batter: Put the flour and salt in a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Add the water and vinegar and whisk until smooth. Leave to rest.

2. Using a 6cm cutter, cut the potato slices into rounds. Cut the fish into 8 thin pieces of a similar size.

3. Dust the fish pieces lightly with flour and shake off the excess. Sandwich the pieces of fish between two pieces of potato. Dip the cakes into flour and shake off the excess, then dip into the batter to cover well.

4. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 190C. Carefully drop a fish cake into the hot fat and let it settle to the bottom. Add another couple of fish cakes if there is room. They will rise to the top when hot enough; this should take about 5 minutes.

5. Turn them over, then leave to cook for another 5 minutes until brown. Remove from the fryer and drain well on kitchen paper.

6. For the chips: Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut them into chunky chips, about 7.5cm long. Dry the chips with some kitchen paper and then cook in a fryer at 150C until cooked through but still pale.

7. Remove the chips from the fryer and increase the oil temperature to 200C. Place the chips back in the fryer (as you do this the temperature will automatically drop, so cook until slightly brown and then remove).

8. Let the oil return to 200C again and cook the chips for one last time until golden brown.

9. Drain the chips on some kitchen paper and then sprinkle with salt.

10. For the peas: Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the shallots and cook gently without letting them colour.

11. Add the mint and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peas and cook for three minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then add the vinegar. Cook for 1 minute and then crush using a potato masher or fork.

12. Serve the hot fish cakes, chips and minted peas together and eat immediately.

Known locally as a Sarnie, 15 miles away, Northwards, as a Scone, 17 miles to the East, as a Fish Cake.

Last edited:
Just try old Wikipedia - it's basically the leftovers from meat roasts. and seems to be making a comeback - not as unhealthy as was once believed :hungry:

I was considering entering Yorkshire fishcakes in the "Cookingbitesrecipechallenge" this month but the recipe has already been posted here so I'm not sure if it's acceptable. My recipe is slightly different in that I use beer as the liquid for the batter and don't mess about cutting the potatoes and fish to a specific size.

[The last time I saw beef dripping on sale in UK it was in a fancy half litre earthenware jar and cost an arm and a leg]

I was considering entering Yorkshire fishcakes in the "Cookingbitesrecipechallenge" this month but the recipe has already been posted here so I'm not sure if it's acceptable.

It is supposed to be a recipe not posted before - did you mean for the potato challenge? The new challenge is 'mushrooms'.

Back
Top Bottom