Recipe Yorkshire Parkin

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:54 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So what's the difference between parkin and Yorkshire parkin? The answer appears to be the use of oatmeal.

20240408_154153.jpg

So... this recipe is from my handwritten recipe book and I have no idea on the source. I know the quantities are huge, so I've cut them down into more sensible sized slabs according to the eggs... dividing 3 eggs per 1kg of oatmeal and flour does leave some of the ingredients with odd measurements, but that's why.

I made the 3 egg version by the way!

This batter also needs to be moist to allow the oatmeal to absorb the liquid as it cooks.

Ingredients
167g self raising wholemeal flour
167g fine oatmeal
⅔ tsp baking powder
⅓ tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅔ tsp mixed spice
⅔ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
⅙ tsp sea salt

100ml vegetable oil (one with no taste)
85g demarara sugar (or any soft naturally brown sugar)
60g black treacle
60g golden syrup (or corn syrup)

1 tbsp pureed ginger (more if you like ginger)
1 large egg
85ml dairy free milk

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C for fan assisted. Line a suitable baking tray with greaseproof paper. A single version of the recipe (1 egg) would be about 8inch by 8inch or 20x20cm. Take it up the sides to allow the parkin to rise.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, return any oatmeal that didn't sift to the bowl as well.
  3. Add the oil/ vegan butter, and all 3 sugars sources to a saucepan and over a very low heat, melt them until they combine. Don't boil or simmer, just get the sugars combined. Remove from heat and allow to stand and cool.
  4. In a small bowl, beat the ginger, egg and milk until well combined.
  5. Add the cooled sugar and oil mixture to the dry ingredients and beat thoroughly. Now add the egg, ginger and milk mixture and mix well. Clean the sides of the bowl with a spatula and same with the K beater if you're using a mixer and beat again until you have a smooth, dark and very thick batter that you can pour with patience.
  6. Pour into the greased baking tin/ tray and bake for 45-60 minutes, checking from 30minutes onwards to see if it is cooked through. Use the skewer test. Mine only took 45 minutes.
  7. Now the seriously hard part, once the parkin has cooled, wrap it in greaseproof paper and store in an airtight container for 1 week before eating. OK you can eat it sooner, but it needs time for the flavour to really develope and to get that sticky top parkin usually has.
20240408_141704.jpg
20240408_150435.jpg

I'll upload better pictures when it had rested for a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom