You think you know your foods?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:52 PM
Care to hazard a guess at this little cocktail then?
BlueBerries 1.jpg

OK a breakdown...

Given it says aqua rather than carbonated water,
  • so water constitutes 84%
Following on from that we have a reasonable amount of sugar (10%) which means it is going to be sweet
  • fructose, glucose, sucrose only.
Fibre comes as the next ingredient at 2.4% which is known as E460!
  • E460 is Cellulose which is a Natural fibre and thickening agent
Amino acids in it
  • It has 18 amino acids in it (out of 20)
  • Of these 8 are the essential amino acids that the body cannot produce and has to 'consume': histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine of which is contains all of them.
So I have a flat water based product which is sweet, has some fibre in it and contains all of the essential amino acids and 10 non-essential ones....

Fatty Acids which make up less than 1% come next which include
  • Omega-3 which is a polyunsaturated fatty acid group and are essential for good health
  • Omega-6 which are another family of pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory polyunsaturated fatty acids
  • Ash (!)
  • Phytosterols
  • Oxalic acid
  • E300 is L- Ascorbic acid and is an anti-oxidant, vitamin C
  • E306 are extracts of tocopherols which is Vitamin E concentrate (can be both vegetable or animal in origin),
  • Thiamin
Colourings are next and are all natural colours
  • E163a is an Anthocyanins (cyanidin) which is red in colour
  • E163b is an Anthocyanins (delphinidin) which is blue in colour
  • E163e is an Anthocyanins (peonidin) which is red-brown in colour
  • E163f is an Anthocyanins (petunidin) which is dark red in colour
  • E160a is Alfa-, Beta- and Gamma- Carotene and can be derived from carrots and is yellow to orange
Flavours come next and where to start on this list!
There is one big volatile flavour containing loads of alcohol flavours plus
  • hydroxylinalool
  • linalool which is a colourless liquid with a soft, sweet odour with a pleasant scent and
  • citral which has a strong, fresh odour of lemon peel
  • methylparaben ?
  • 1510 could be Ethanol
  • E300 is L- Ascorbic acid and is an anti-oxidant, vitamin C
  • E440 which is Pectin, a natural thickening agent
  • E421 which is Mannitol a sugar alcohol
  • Fresh air E941 which is nitrogen
  • Fresh Air E948 which is oxygen
  • Fresh Air E290 which is carbon dioxide

yep - just as bad if it was a banana though! and the red, blue, purple colouring has me thinking red apple or red grape... the fresh air would work better with a 'mushy' apple than a grape as would the pectin but ahhh then you have all those alcohols (used in the organic chemical sense here) and I could only think red grape!

Tonight is too early to post the answer, I'm out in about 11 hours time. Next chance after that would be early Friday morning or Friday afternoon.
So see if anyone else chips in and I'll put the answer up on Saturday.

All of this reminds of of that bit in Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation whereby scientists eventually came up with a flavour that smelled and tasted of apple. It had something like 83 ingredients, none of which were apples.

I can identify the sugar and water only in the chemical break down. I have never looked at my food this way.

Back
Top Bottom