Your childhood

Seriously though has anybody noticed the huge variety of food now available as opposed to even a couple of decades ago ? At least in food the children of today have opportunities we never seemed to have [as to whether they get to or choose to use them is something else entirely].

From the time I was 11 to 13:
Let's say macaroni and cheese (boxed) (4 days a week) was a staple food because it was the only thing my brother and I knew how to cook. On Fridays we had fish at a local club. On Saturday night it was usually burgers and fries from Speedway before a dance at the club. Sunday, we all had a big lunch at my grandparents.
No parents were not working nights, they were at the club.

And you really don't want to know about my childhood.
Seems like a world of pain there Cin. Sorry, had you pegged as Daisy Duke. Misjudged. My wrong

Has anyone else noticed that buckytom hasn't told us his story yet? :meh: Wonder what he's hiding. I'm not telling about my childhood until he tells us about his...:coffee:

"I was born a poor black child..."

Acually, I'm originally from Massachusetts, but moved to Ohio. I am biding my time until I can move back to Mass. to be near my children.

:p:

Seems like a world of pain there Cin. Sorry, had you pegged as Daisy Duke. Misjudged. My wrong
Well now I have worn my share of Daisy Duke shorts.
My childhood wasn't all bad. I had a great best friend. Her parents made sure I had a semi-normal childhood.
I don't remember if it was here or Mobileread that we got to talking about social classes.
Anyway, we were the first on our block to have a dishwasher (I'm sorry. I won't hit you again and I will stop drinking), new car (same song, same dance), microwave, (yep same again), pong and later atari, (getting the picture yet). Dad had a habit of drinking and getting violent. Mom had a habit of drinking and might or might not get violent with dad. She did tend to get flirty.
I'll just say this when they finally divorced, all the women took dad's side and all the men took mom's side.
They thank God divorced when I was 13.
Note: in school I wore hand me downs and was teased.
Anyway that's pretty much my childhood. Oh except when mom shot me in the foot. She was aiming for my dad. I was 2.

Remember several of you asked. Now did you really want to know?

The only thing that changed after the divorce was at least my brother and I could go to sleep at night and not worry about parents waking us up. Oh and if dad had us, we were at the club with him. Mom preferred to do the club scene without kids.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Cin.

Alcoholism is a horrible disease, but violence is a crime. The former shpuld be treated, but the latter punished.

I hope you are at peace with all of it now.

Well now I have worn my share of Daisy Duke shorts.
My childhood wasn't all bad. I had a great best friend. Her parents made sure I had a semi-normal childhood.
I don't remember if it was here or Mobileread that we got to talking about social classes.
Anyway, we were the first on our block to have a dishwasher (I'm sorry. I won't hit you again and I will stop drinking), new car (same song, same dance), microwave, (yep same again), pong and later atari, (getting the picture yet). Dad had a habit of drinking and getting violent. Mom had a habit of drinking and might or might not get violent with dad. She did tend to get flirty.
I'll just say this when they finally divorced, all the women took dad's side and all the men took mom's side.
They thank God divorced when I was 13.
Note: in school I wore hand me downs and was teased.
Anyway that's pretty much my childhood. Oh except when mom shot me in the foot. She was aiming for my dad. I was 2.

Remember several of you asked. Now did you really want to know?

The only thing that changed after the divorce was at least my brother and I could go to sleep at night and not worry about parents waking us up. Oh and if dad had us, we were at the club with him. Mom preferred to do the club scene without kids.

I think you need to write a book @Cinisajoy!

I'm so sorry to hear that, Cin.

Alcoholism is a horrible disease, but violence is a crime. The former shpuld be treated, but the latter punished.

I hope you are at peace with all of it now.
I am ok with it now. When I was 18, dad went to a dry-out center.(1984) It was the next trip in 1986 or so that took because he was sober from 1987-1992. I just had to call and find out when he was president of the club. (You couldn't drink and be president. )

At least my stepsister got a sober father during her formative years.

He did start drinking again and we had many years from 1985-1996 that we didn't talk at all. We did make up in 1996, when he finally realized all the decisions I made in my personal life were the best decisions for all involved. He also came to the realization that even though he had been a jerk and said things he shouldn't have said I was still there for him.
He passed away in 1998 from too much alcohol, too little food and not enough prescription drugs.
He chose Michelob over Warfarin.

Though if you were to ask me the hardest thing I ever had to do, that would be telling my stepdad about my childhood (recently). I kind of hated to portray my mom as a neglectful parent.

In about April 1983, I got engaged to a guy. (That would make a book in itself. ) I was 17. About that same time frame both mom and dad found their second spouses.
Well I left mom's the end of May and got married in September. Lived with dad off and on that summer.
So anyway, all the new parents saw was both mom and dad becoming parents to my little brother. They no longer went out.
Dad went to the dry out center in April 84. I know because he almost caused a divorce. Namely mine. But then my now very ex husband didn't understand our family dynamic because he hadn't been around my dad much. If dad had wanted me to do somersaults in the street, I would have. Dad wanted me to go with them to tell my brother about the dry out center. The now very ex made the mistake of telling me I couldn't go. Needless to say, I went.

You mean one hundred thousand pounds? Could be right, if so. Depends on the number of bedrooms. location, etc.
Now a high private rental area, above the university and call centres, but just outside the city centre

Back
Top Bottom