Your day to day dinner ware?

An exception would be for some Japanese foods where the spare geometric shapes of the food can work with rectangular or square plates.

View attachment 35124

I was just about to reply to your previous post. Square plates are good "canvases" for simple, minimalist foods -- like Japanese or Tapas. I use them when I have a few simple food items on a plate that is just a little too big.

CD

I was just about to reply to your previous post. Square plates are good "canvases" for simple, minimalist foods -- like Japanese or Tapas. I use them when I have a few simple food items on a plate that is just a little too big.

CD

Yep! Tapas looks good on square plates. Minimalist works with square plates.

Going back a bit I did have a couple of square/rectangular plates. The square one I used for a minimalist dip photo. Once! The rectangular for a salad - I think that can work because the plate acts as a frame for the abstract salad shapes. But I didn't really like these plates and got rid of them.

These photos were taken prior to me getting the Samsung phone - so using a Pentax.

Most people I know do have a dining table, but it's not in a formal dining room. It's usually (with open floor plans being so popular now) just off the kitchen, but with no walls or anything to divide it, it's like it's still part of an extended kitchen space. Our house is like that (built 2004).

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a year, but a some point in the last few decades, "average" American houses seemed to drop the concept of the formal dining room altogether. Our first house, built in 1980, had one. My brother's house, built in the '70's, had one. My folks, the least "formal" people on the planet, they even have one, and they built their house themselves; it's just that the blueprints they bought had a separate dining space, so that's how they built it.

My wife's family's house - log cabin built in about 1978 or so, it had one, but they used it, because they entertained a lot and because they always ate meals at the table.

Nowadays, I'm not sure how many people eat at the table. The table seems to be more of a catch-all for junk mail and car keys and stuff like that. The only time we eat at the table is for special meals, like afternoon tea or Thanksgiving.
On the way back from supper, maybe a 25-minute drive, we saw probably six or so houses with full-on Christmas displays - stuff in the front yards, outside lights, etc, but a lot more houses than that with Christmas deccies and/or tree up inside. By this time next week, it'll be in full swing.

A week from today, we get our tree. 🥰🎅🎄🕺

It is a dining area, not an actual room - two walls, not four or even three. My dining area is on the other side of the peninsula that houses my sink and such. When I have company (2 or more) we eat out there. When I am home alone, I typically eat at the end of the peninsula, but often I;ll be eating outoors - well, maybe not so much now that it is usually below 40 F out there.

The table itself is hardly formal at all. I gave the formal dining set Dad made sure I had, to someone who was helping me clean out the old house, since he said his mother in law would want it. Good.

Regards my parentally sourced GOOD China.. it is a lovely set, and I really really want to find a good home for it. I have no idea if I'd ever personally use this set again. You can't microwave it, you can't throw it through the dishwasher - gold leaf. My parents loved it. I simply find it something I really can't use, that takes up space here.

I was once advised to buy plain white as it is much simpler to buy a look alike replacement.

Our day to day tableware is the Motion Series by Maxwell and Williams. It's our cutlery that is an absolute mish mash of different sets.

Sale | Entertain In Style | Maxwell & Williams

The only problem with the square dinner plates is that they won't fit in the microwave!

I must have a large microwave, no touchy sides going on here.

Russ

I used to have some gold rimmed white plates - very elegant but totally impractical, as you say! The gold rim eventually wore off.

Our Royal Daulton had gold rims, and so did the crystal. PITA. We went with very nice formal stainless for the utensils. Neither of us wanted to polish silver. It had gold tone accents, but they were not real gold, so they could go in the dishwasher.

CD

When my grandfather could not live alone anymore, I brought a lot of family heirlooms home. Most are in my house. There was a demitasse cup and saucer in the mix. Nobody knew where it came from -- even my grandfather. It was White Star Lines China, and was the same china used in first class on the Titanic.

When my grandparents came to America, it may have been on a White Star Lines, but no possible way they were even near first class dining rooms. They were poor -- probably bunking in the cargo hold. So, we had no idea where it came from.

Just for grins, I listed it on eBay, and the darned thing sold for $375 American. One little cup, and one little saucer. :eek:

CD

When my grandfather could not live alone anymore, I brought a lot of family heirlooms home. Most are in my house. There was a demitasse cup and saucer in the mix. Nobody knew where it came from -- even my grandfather. It was White Star Lines China, and was the same china used in first class on the Titanic.

When my grandparents came to America, it may have been on a White Star Lines, but no possible way they were even near first class dining rooms. They were poor -- probably bunking in the cargo hold. So, we had no idea where it came from.

Just for grins, I listed it on eBay, and the darned thing sold for $375 American. One little cup, and one little saucer. :eek:

CD

Light fingers lmao?

Russ

An Indian restaurant in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur served their dishes on banana leaves. I gave it a go once.

[Edit: the image is not the restaurant's offering - it's my curry (chicken with yellow rice, Bombay potatoes, long bean bhaji and roti) on one of our banana leaves].

Last edited:
An Indian restaurant in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur served their dishes on banana leaves. I gave it a go once.

View attachment 35886

[Edit: the image is not the restaurant's offering - it's my curry (chicken with yellow rice, Bombay potatoes, long bean bhaji and roti) on one of our banana leaves].

Saves on washing up!

Back
Top Bottom