Your Favorite Party Food

I think I had Tiropita in Greece from a bakery where you buy and take away. Its feta cheese I remember.
There was a café near where I lived in Germany that only used to serve spanakopita, kreatopita, and tiropita. They used to make their own phyllo pastry. It was all fresh made, and way before pizzas became the norm.

Pork pie... have you ever made one @epicuric? Its on my ever growing list. I even have an idea for a vegan version.
Yes I have! Earlier this year. I was going to suggest it for the cookalong, but I thought it was a bit too local. I am a bit of a pork pie fanatic - every time I come across a hand made variety in a butchers shop I have to buy it. Purely quality control!

Yes I have! Earlier this year. I was going to suggest it for the cookalong, but I thought it was a bit too local. I am a bit of a pork pie fanatic - every time I come across a hand made variety in a butchers shop I have to buy it. Purely quality control!

Did you post it here? If so, I missed it. I agree its a bit 'local' for Cookalong.

We have a very small family that was never close, so our best opportunity for "finger-food" gatherings started with our move to our previous house. We were the first occupants on our street and decided to invite everyone who had moved in by the end of the year to a "post-holiday Gathering". Mid-January, no real chance to meet the neighbors because of winter weather, so everyone showed up. We provided beverages, asked everyone else to bring finger foods, and the idea took off. On their way out the door that first time, everyone said it was a great idea and we should to it again. No one took leftovers, though, so we had enough food for at least 3-4 days! We did this gathering every year until we moved, and then started all over again with new neighbors at our current house. We did this until hubby was laid off five years ago, but most everyone on our street had become very busy with their kids' sports and social schedules. We did learn to send everyone home with leftovers from the second year on. :wink: You can eat snack food for supper only so long.

Two favorite evil treats from that time are items with the names "Hanky Panky" and "Sausage Balls". I would not recommend them these days because they are fat-laden, salty, and basically mashed-up convenience items. If you want to check them out, I did provide links.

Two of my favorite finger foods these days incorporate prosciutto (talk about salt...):

Asparagus Spears

Figs and Prosciutto

A fun party theme would be a 60's party.

Food, cocktails, décor and costumes from the 60's.

Food that immediately comes to mind:

Cheese ball
Sausage balls
Crudité
Must have: Cheese fondue

When my parents had friends over in the 60's their favorite cocktails were a Grasshopper or a Manhattan.

Everyone smoked in the 60's so a bowl of candy cigarettes would be fun to have out.

Did you post it here? If so, I missed it. I agree its a bit 'local' for Cookalong.
I think I only posted a photo, I can't find any trace of a recipe. I will post the recipe and have another go with it, but not for a couple of weeks due to work commitments.
IMG_1631.JPG

Back
Top Bottom