Your first flight, where did it take you?

I used to take a lot of flights with Ethiopian Airlines when I lived in Eritrea. Their adverts used to have the line "the wonderland route." The local joke was "you wonder if it's going to land."

Actually, that was a bit cruel because Ethiopian have got a pretty good safety record.

I flew into the old Hong Kong airport and was amazed when at my hotel I watched the planes landing about every 50 seconds. It was amazing to watch. I havnt flown into the new airport yet. Best helicopter was at Airlie beach in Queensland Australia, I surprised the wife about 15 years ago, I booked a flight onto an island on the Great Barrier Reef with champagne and lunch in a hamper. It was amazing flying over the reef seeing the wildlife below.

Russ

Curacao. Went all by myself. I don't swim and it was a very boring week. Only thing exciting was when a cruise ship came in to offload tourists.

I prefer long haul flights because I can settle and relax, can't do that with short flights because I know it won't be long before we have to get off again so cannot settle. Always glad to arrive though :happy:

Flying out of Cairns was an eye-opener :eek:
for me it was Gibraltar. The runway has the island's road across it as it is, so all traffic had to be stopped and ask pedestrians cleared from the runway before you attempt take off. If you've not reached a certain speed by a line across the runway then take off (and similarly for landing) is aborted.
They need all the space they can for take off, so when our plane taxied out and turned around at the 'top' end of the runway, the outside wing was actually over the sea as much as possible. one of our take offs and several of our landings were also aborted. One landing being aborted because there was somehow still a vehicle actually on the runway.

Mind you I've just recalled one aborted landing at Arlanda airport (Stockholm, where we had our honeymoon many years ago) because of the conditions. It was the 28th or 30th December. The pilot ended up having 3 attempts at landing. The first was aborted because of debris on the runway, we had actually been within meters of landing. Luckily he did abort because the debris was exactly that and sizeable. The second was a flyby as low as he could without landing (he'd already explained what had taken place and what he now planned to do), the third time was successful, but on another runway on snow and ice! It was bumpy to say the least but otherwise uneventful.

I was 2 or 3 years old, heading to upstate new york for a funeral. I remember you had to walk out on the tarmac and i remember waving at my aunt from the window when we departed. Of the flight itself i remember nothing but i remember new york cause it snowed us in and we had to walk everywhere and i hated the bulky coat and borrowed boots.

Back
Top Bottom