America - Where have you been and what do you think?

Yeah, I meant BBCA didn't even exist back then. Any UK programming came through PBS (Doctor Who, Masterpiece) and a local independent station (Benny Hill, Monty Python).

I watched anything British I could clap my eyes on, which included “girly” costume dramas and the like. To this day, I’ll gladly watch an import with a subject I care nothing about, just because I want to see the scenery and the different makes of cars and things like that.
Yes same here. I always liked/like old black and white movies because of classy clothes and cars, but imports x2.

Lots of stuff I have to watch alone like Downton Abbey the series. Not DH's kinda thing. Oh I tried to watch one of the movies and was not a fan.

Yes same here. I always liked/like old black and white movies because of classy clothes and cars, but imports x2.
The real eye-opener for me came when I was in my teens and my brother bought his first house and splurged on a then-new first generation satellite dish - massive thing.

It pulled in all these UK and European movies…it’s where my current love of “Eurotrash” movies comes from (that’s a term I use with a lot of fondness and not in any way negative).

I still remember seeing nearly all the “Confessions of a…” sex-themed farces that came out of Britain in the ‘70’s, starring Robin Askwith (Confessions of a Driving Instructor…of a Window Cleaner…of a Pop Star, etc)…. Completely ridiculous movies with lots of…enthusiastic young women - very tame by today’s standards, of course, but very impressive to me when I was 14 or whatever. :laugh:

The real eye-opener for me came when I was in my teens and my brother bought his first house and splurged on a then-new first generation satellite dish - massive thing.

It pulled in all these UK and European movies…it’s where my current love of “Eurotrash” movies comes from (that’s a term I use with a lot of fondness and not in any way negative).

I still remember seeing nearly all the “Confessions of a…” sex-themed farces that came out of Britain in the ‘70’s, starring Robin Askwith (Confessions of a Driving Instructor…of a Window Cleaner…of a Pop Star, etc)…. Completely ridiculous movies with lots of…enthusiastic young women - very tame by today’s standards, of course, but very impressive to me when I was 14 or whatever. :laugh:
We certainly did a good line in titillation back then. But then floods of much stronger nuder stuff came in from abroad and X rated channels of mostly American and German stuff appeared, that confused everyone a fair bit because we kind of always thought of America as a religious country and it didn't fit with our perceptions at all :laugh:

Speaking of accents, if you heard me speak, and didn't know me at all, you'd have no idea as to where I'm from and then, if I were to speak in Hawaiian Pidgin (it's a real language by the way) you probably wouldn't understand a word I said.
I was looking for a good You Tube video short, but they're all really long.

X rated channels of mostly American and German stuff appeared,
You’ve got to be careful with that German stuff. That’ll warp you. I found some of that when I was about 10, and…well, I was one person before I found it, but then I was another person after finding it. It’s like the world was never the same. Food tasted different, music sounded different, colors looked different. I didn’t talk for about a week. I’m still affected by it, I think. 🤔

You’ve got to be careful with that German stuff. That’ll warp you. I found some of that when I was about 10, and…well, I was one person before I found it, but then I was another person after finding it. It’s like the world was never the same. Food tasted different, music sounded different, colors looked different. I didn’t talk for about a week. I’m still affected by it, I think. 🤔
You don't know how close to the truth that really is! I have a chef friend who backpacked across Europe following the Grateful Dead several decades ago and he said some of the stuff he saw and experienced was shocking. Not sure if it was Germany in particular, but...

Well maybe it was the psychedelics. Idk.

British humour is wicked, sarcastic,cruel, acid, sharp, full of innuendos, unforgiving, merciless (at times), fearless and often burlesque. curiously enough, Venezuelan humour is very similar.
Anyone who could stand up in a working Men's Club in North England and keep the patrons happy for an hour, had to be a genius. Not funny? After 5 minutes, off the stage! Benny Hill, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies. And then came the "Intellectual Humourists" - from Round The Horne ( Kenneth Horne, Bill Oddy ,Tim Brooke-Taylor), "At Last the 1948 Show " (Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman) "Monty Python", "Not the 9 o'clock News ( Mr Bean started there), etc. Then I lost track because I moved to another continent.

The only American movies that made me belly laugh were Blazin Saddles, and Airplane. At uni, everyone thought Woody Allen was hilarious. I dutifully watched all his movies ( mostly with a girlfriend) and I may, just possibly have laughed once.
Different strokes, I suppose.

British humour is wicked, sarcastic,cruel, acid, sharp, full of innuendos, unforgiving, merciless (at times), fearless and often burlesque. curiously enough, Venezuelan humour is very similar.
Anyone who could stand up in a working Men's Club in North England and keep the patrons happy for an hour, had to be a genius. Not funny? After 5 minutes, off the stage! Benny Hill, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies. And then came the "Intellectual Humourists" - from Round The Horne ( Kenneth Horne, Bill Oddy ,Tim Brooke-Taylor), "At Last the 1948 Show " (Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman) "Monty Python", "Not the 9 o'clock News ( Mr Bean started there), etc. Then I lost track because I moved to another continent.

The only American movies that made me belly laugh were Blazin Saddles, and Airplane. At uni, everyone thought Woody Allen was hilarious. I dutifully watched all his movies ( mostly with a girlfriend) and I may, just possibly have laughed once.
Different strokes, I suppose.
For the record, I've never thought anything Woody Allen did was funny.

Back
Top Bottom