America - Where have you been and what do you think?

But I have heard the Brits american accents slip at times and I find that sort of thing a bit annoying.
It goes both ways - there are American actors who portray British characters, and even I will spot it, and it’s like someone smashed a plate over my head. :laugh:

The one US English word that seems to trip British actors up…figure. We say “fig-yer,” and our British friends largely say “figger,” and it’s rather alarming to hear someone on a TV western say, “I reckon I’m a-gonna mosey on down to the saloon right quick-like. Miss Kitty will be lookin’ mighty good to this ol’ cowpoke, I figger.” :eek:

I do think that’s gotten better - British programming is very popular these days, compared to when I was a kid in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s.

We didn’t have BBC America back then (which started out ok, but now seems to mainly show Star Trek: TNG reruns!), and certainly no AcornTV or Britbox, which I think both were started initially for the US market.

And all our most popular TV actors these days seem to be either British or Australian. There’ll be some guy on a show playing a Texan or SoCal character, with the appropriate accent, then we’ll see them on a talk show, and they’ll mention growing up in Leeds! :laugh:
Remember that show "House"? I watched it for a year before discovering Hugh Laurie was British.

Oh lord I wish it were that way here. I've got a funny story about that from when I was living in Florida in my 20s when I met a young man from the neighboring state of Georgia and I had a really hard time understanding him because his country accent was so thick. That's not the only time that's happened to me. It's much easier for me to communicate with and understand someone from Mexico with broken English than some people from rural US southern states!
It's the size of the place though isn't it.
Here it's uncommon not to traverse the UK to some extent and it's relatively cheap and easy to do.

In America it's so vast I can imagine it's easy to never travel much just because of the expanse you have to cross and the hassle and expense.

Mr SSOAPs threatening to confiscate my phone if I don't start packing.
He finished his packing by 10am. I'm still not even started at 4.30pm 😂

It goes both ways - there are American actors who portray British characters, and even I will spot it, and it’s like someone smashed a plate over my head. :laugh:

The one US English word that seems to trip British actors up…figure. We say “fig-yer,” and our British friends largely say “figger,” and it’s rather alarming to hear someone on a TV western say, “I reckon I’m a-gonna mosey on down to the saloon right quick-like. Miss Kitty will be lookin’ mighty good to this ol’ cowpoke, I figger.” :eek:
Dare I mention Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in Far and Away?
That was the final nail in Tom Cruises coffin from my point of view 😂

It's the size of the place though isn't it.
Here it's uncommon not to traverse the UK to some extent and it's relatively cheap and easy to do.

In America it's so vast I can imagine it's easy to never travel much just because of the expanse you have to cross and the hassle and expense.

Mr SSOAPs threatening to confiscate my phone if I don't start packing.
He finished his packing by 10am. I'm still not even started at 4.30pm 😂
The lady who does my pedicures has never seen the ocean, never seen the mountains or the desert...in fact, she's never been out of Ohio! I can't even imagine.

Go pack.

The lady who does my pedicures has never seen the ocean, never seen the mountains or the desert...in fact, she's never been out of Ohio! I can't even imagine.

Go pack.
That’d be a lot of my family - if they can’t drive, they’re not going.

You know what Ohio looks like, obviously, so if you live in the southwestern part, like I do, Indiana and Kentucky are within easy striking distance. I grew up less than 20 minutes from the Indiana state line and less than an hour from Kentucky, that’s how close we were. Half the business here either have “OKI” or “Tri-State” in the name.

Out of my five siblings, two have never been anywhere else other than our immediate tri-state area, and don’t care to. Three have never flown.

My mom flew once and hated it. They flew down to San Antonio to see us, and the first thing she said when she got off the plane was, “Oh Lord, that was awful! I jus’ don’t see why they cain’t have special roads fer these…these…aeroplanes, and jus’ have ‘em drive on that!”

I do think that’s gotten better - British programming is very popular these days, compared to when I was a kid in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s.

We didn’t have BBC America back then (which started out ok, but now seems to mainly show Star Trek: TNG reruns!), and certainly no AcornTV or Britbox, which I think both were started initially for the US market.

And all our most popular TV actors these days seem to be either British or Australian. There’ll be some guy on a show playing a Texan or SoCal character, with the appropriate accent, then we’ll see them on a talk show, and they’ll mention growing up in Leeds! :laugh:
No, we weren't watching BBC America as kids either, I am older than you, not sure what I was thinking but maybe PBS? At any rate, we found English humor quite appealing. My brother liked Benny Hill better than I did and I am pretty sure we both know why. I didn't find him funny really, but my brother was glued to the TV screen...men/boys are such visual creatures in general, LOL.

No, we weren't watching BBC America as kids either, I am older than you, not sure what I was thinking but maybe PBS?
Yeah, I meant BBCA didn't even exist back then. Any UK programming came through PBS (Doctor Who, Masterpiece) and a local independent station (Benny Hill, Monty Python).

I watched anything British I could clap my eyes on, which included “girly” costume dramas and the like. To this day, I’ll gladly watch an import with a subject I care nothing about, just because I want to see the scenery and the different makes of cars and things like that.

Back
Top Bottom