Commercials you Love Or Hate

There are a whole load of ads for “personal” products make me laugh and wince at the same time - the guy spraying deodorant down the inside of his underpants, the ads for a dedicated “manscaping” razor, and my, um, favorite?…the one advising you to lather up in the shower, wash your bottom, then smell the sudds, and if they still smell like butt, then you need to by their specialized butt soap.

I blame it all on those Charmin bears. They started it! :laugh:

There are a whole load of ads for “personal” products make me laugh and wince at the same time - the guy spraying deodorant down the inside of his underpants, the ads for a dedicated “manscaping” razor, and my, um, favorite?…the one advising you to lather up in the shower, wash your bottom, then smell the sudds, and if they still smell like butt, then you need to by their specialized butt soap.

What are charmin bears? Is that a toilet paper?

I really can't stand those whole body deodorant commercials. I really hate the Lume ones.
Amen to that! It's crass and annoying, and that doctor who created it is sooooo irritating in the way she talks about various body parts, ugh. I hit "mute" or change the channel when she comes on.

I thankfully was spared that one.

And don’t even bother telling me toilet paper is really called crap wrapper 😂
I haven't heard that one.
Yes, Charmin is a super soft TP. I am thinking they started using the cartoon bears in the ads because of the on-running US joke "does a bear ch!t in the woods" which I guess is the (stupid) response if someone asks you a stupid question.

Commercial I love:
View: https://youtu.be/PpvLye7fOT4

They usually only show bits and pieces of it at a time due to airtime constraints but I googled it after the first few times I saw it and found the full clip.

As JAS_OH1 says, they’re cartoon spokesbears for Charmin toilet paper.

Back when they first started, they were fine and kind of cute, because it was just standard advertising with the unspoken nod that bears are experts in “that department,” based on the old saying.

But as time has gone by, they’ve pushed and pushed the wink-wink-nudge-nudge and have become more overt, as Charmin has done with their other marketing. Later ads have baby bear saying how clean and fresh he feels, while sticking his cartoon butt straight in the camera so we can all see he’s not lying.

Their most facepalmy one to me was an ad campaign that ran simultaneously to the bears - it was styled after those “man on the street” interviews.

At first, it sort of played into the ridiculousness of it - interviewer asks unsuspecting people whether they truly enjoy their bathroom experience, then when they admit they don’t really, he recommends Charmin.

It quickly descended into a cheery, plucky woman doing the interviewing (British, no less, because that makes it all proper ok), and she poses the question, then hands them a roll of Charmin, directs them to the nearest public toilet, then waits outside while they go in (and in some ads, continues to talk to them), do their dirty business, then come out and enthusiastically say what a truly wonderful time they had in there.

As JAS_OH1 says, they’re cartoon spokesbears for Charmin toilet paper.

Back when they first started, they were fine and kind of cute, because it was just standard advertising with the unspoken nod that bears are experts in “that department,” based on the old saying.

But as time has gone by, they’ve pushed and pushed the wink-wink-nudge-nudge and have become more overt, as Charmin has done with their other marketing. Later ads have baby bear saying how clean and fresh he feels, while sticking his cartoon butt straight in the camera so we can all see he’s not lying.

Their most facepalmy one to me was an ad campaign that ran simultaneously to the bears - it was styled after those “man on the street” interviews.

At first, it sort of played into the ridiculousness of it - interviewer asks unsuspecting people whether they truly enjoy their bathroom experience, then when they admit they don’t really, he recommends Charmin.

It quickly descended into a cheery, plucky woman doing the interviewing (British, no less, because that makes it all proper ok), and she poses the question, then hands them a roll of Charmin, directs them to the nearest public toilet, then waits outside while they go in (and in some ads, continues to talk to them), do their dirty business, then come out and enthusiastically say what a truly wonderful time they had in there.
There just isn't the proper emoji for this.

There just isn't the proper emoji for this.
My favorite reaction:

You know how free streaming services run the same ad over and over? We were watching something on one of them, and the ad every break was for the manscaping trimmer set.

Of course, the manly man never straight out said what it was for, just lots of innuendo, and after the third or fourth time, MrsT (who was only half paying attention during the breaks) blurted out:

Is that idiot talking about shaving his balls?!)

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom