Flaunt your omelette here!

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:13 PM
Omelettes (or omelets in US) are a popular 'standby dish'. If you have eggs you can make an omelette. In the US they are popular for breakfast. In Europe and elsewhere they are a light lunch or dinner. In Asian cooking they are often used as an ingredient (for example, cut into strips in a stir fry).

Well, however and whenever you make an omelette please post a photo here.

I like my omelette with cheese, onion and tomato. Or cheese onion and bacon. To be honest, more than 3 ingredients sort of spoils it; too many things going on. An omelette with cheese, ham, salami, mushrooms, peppers, onion, tomatoes and spinach sort of loses the effect. You can't taste the eggs and the rest of the ingredients clash.
Here is today's breakfast. Only two eggs, you will see, plus a tsp of cream, salt and pepper. Cheese, tomato and mortadela (no ham available).
A hot pan with butter. When the butter sizzles, in go the beaten eggs. Once it begins to set, I move it around so the uncooked egg goes to the bottom and cooks. When it's still slightly liquid on top, in goes the filling. A minute, fold over and serve. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes to cook. slightly runny inside.
omelette 1.jpg
omelette 2.jpg
Omelette 3.jpg
omelette 4.jpg

I like my omelette with cheese, onion and tomato. Or cheese onion and bacon. To be honest, more than 3 ingredients sort of spoils it; too many things going on. An omelette with cheese, ham, salami, mushrooms, peppers, onion, tomatoes and spinach sort of loses the effect. You can't taste the eggs and the rest of the ingredients clash.
Here is today's breakfast. Only two eggs, you will see, plus a tsp of cream, salt and pepper. Cheese, tomato and mortadela (no ham available).
A hot pan with butter. When the butter sizzles, in go the beaten eggs. Once it begins to set, I move it around so the uncooked egg goes to the bottom and cooks. When it's still slightly liquid on top, in goes the filling. A minute, fold over and serve. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes to cook. slightly runny inside.
View attachment 105648View attachment 105649View attachment 105650View attachment 105651

Looks great and I agree about using only a few ingredients. Any more and it turns into a tortilla (Spanish omelette) which is a different thing entirely.

I really rather like a simple classic omelette with nothing other than salt added and a gentle soft centre.

I don't use cream or milk. I don't think its needed and to my mind it sort of 'weighs down' the eggs. I do add a splash of water though, which lightens the mix.

Since we’re talking about omelettes, I ordered one at breakfast, the vegetarian one, which was cheese, onions, tomatoes, and peppers:

View attachment 105663

Made with three eggs, and served with potatoes and rye toast on the side.
Interesting to see. Are the tomatoes sort of uncooked? And what are the black speckly bits all over the omelette?

Interesting to see. Are the tomatoes sort of uncooked? And what are the black speckly bits all over the omelette?
The tomatoes are cooked and hot, just not cooked to mush.

The black speckly bits - that’s black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom